The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default SW Montana Floats

My plan is to do a lot of floating this year, try some of the bigger rivers.

Is there a common set of markers/waypoints to know how far I have left to go so I don't end up on the river at 11 at night? And the common entry/exit pairs for them?

Most interested in Yellowstone, Big Hole and Madison

Thanks very much.. Dave
Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SW Montana Floats

The best thing to do is get yourself a map of the river. The distance really depends on how much you want to fish. If you want to hit every hole you see, then I suggest taking a three to five mile float. That would last you the day, and if it started getting dark you could simply float the rest of the way without stopping. If you straight float the 3 mile stretch on a river like the Yellowstone, without stopping you could be done within the hour.

Waypoints, Bridges are a good thing to look for to coordinate your spot on the Yellowstone. But not so good on the Madison. It's also a good thing to visit the area you will be getting out and visually marking upstream where you should position your boat for an easy take-out.

common entry, exit points can be found on local river maps you can find at the local fly shops. It's basically going to be about distance. Use the 3 mile being a short float to 7 miles being a big float idea.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: SW Montana Floats

Thanks.. that's a good guideline..

I'll stop in one of the flyshops and pick something up

Being OCD - I'd like some GPS coordinates.. lol