The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM

dubs chops is on a distinguished road
Default second thought what about colorado in may.

Hey guys i think the family is reconsidering the trip. How would colorado in may be for fly fishing? anyone familiar with the estes park and leadville area.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: second thought what about colorado in may.

dubs: Estes Park is at the base of Rocky Mtn National Park. The road leading into town follows the Big Thompson River (canyon). You should find some nice fishing in the Big Thompson (it can get crowded on the weekends) as there is lots of public access and there are numerous possibilities in the park. Leadville is at just over 11,000 ft elevation. I'm not sure what you will find there in May, although the Arkansas River follows the road going south. I'd contact Ark Anglers for more information on fishing in May.
Fish Arkansas River in Colorado - Fly Fish River, Streams, High Mountain Lakes with ArkAnglers, the Arkansas River's premier Guide Service and Fly Shops

Larry
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 AM

Eagletrout is on a distinguished road

The Arkansas river is where the legendary caddis hatch happens around mothers day. If you want some great dry fly action check it out! Tight Lines.

-Mark
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Guys i will be in colorado from june-6 through june-12 in the colrado springs area 3 days then on to rocky mountain national park. Will there be any chance of getting in any good fishing in these areas at this date?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Runoff could still be going by then so keep your ears open, otherwise you may want to consider looking at Tailwaters to fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs chops View Post
Guys i will be in colorado from June-6 through June-12 in the Colorado springs area 3 days then on to rocky mountain national park. Will there be any chance of getting in any good fishing in these areas at this date?
Chops,
In the Springs area you have The Dream Stream, Cheeseman Canyon and Decker's all within an hour or so drive. June will be peak run-off even in the tailwaters as the res. for those on the Platte are at least 80% capacity already. You will still find some excellent fishing. IM me when you get ready to come out and I'll give you some flow reports.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM

thanks yatahey. I definately will.