The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default 11 Mile Canyon 23/12/2010

Thanks to this oddball Indian Summer we're experiencing here along the front range, I was able to get out to South Park and 11 Mile Canyon before Christmas. Wow. The week before I fished one of my favorite spot at Deckers a couple miles down from the bridge and ended up walking and wading nearly a mile before I managed to spot and land a nice 15" rainbow, but 11 Mile was absolutely packed with fish.

There were two strong midge hatches, although only sporadic rising (I missed the only rise I had to my Fore n' Aft Midge after a long, difficult cast), but black beauties and WD-40s took the majority of the fish.

(Warning, any purist in the room avert your eyes, the next part is about a "trash fly")

So I tied some Y2K bugs for my Mom (she's new to fly fishing and lives in SW Missouri). If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a gold tungsten bead with a couple wraps of lead wire on a scud hook with two, contrasting pieces of bright egg yarn tied and cut to form a tapered body. I thought they were awful looking, but I read in multiple locations how guides on the White tail waters in MO and ARK will tie one on if their clients aren't catching fish, so I brought one out with me to the canyon to try it out and I noticed something pretty interesting--- with the current winter conditions (extremely low flows and crystal clear water), when I had the Y2K tied on with a black beauty dropped on about 12" of fluro, I was able to track my flies through the water visually and even catch a few takes by knowing exactly where my flies were and seeing a corresponding flash or the pearl white mouth of a trout opening. It basically acted as an underwater indicator, which was awesome because I don't typically fish an indicator in flows this low. It even took a couple of fish, including a nice slab of a rainbow at the end of the day. Anyway, if you're not adversed to so-called "trash flies" this is definitely one you may want to check out.

Tomorrow it's going to be near 50's, so I'm headed to Cheeseman!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 11 Mile Canyon 23/12/2010

I have used Glo Bug Yarn eggs to catch trout and salmon so I'm not gonna get all bent over a Y2K fly. I stopped the egg business about 5 years ago because I tie so many fancy salmon and trout flies that to tie them and then use a glo egg when fishing just didn't add up. Now if you told me you were using the Y2K on a bobber well..................

I use a permanent butt section on all my salmon / steelhead lines of about 16" of chartreuse Amnesia and it is basically an indicator for my wet flies. When I can see that butt section I know my fly is 6' behind and often this is a great help when I use dark color flies and can see a fish but not the fly so................. Seeing is a good thing,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2010, 06:21 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Trash flies? Okay. Whatever. I am heading out tomorrow and have a clown egg as my point fly. Last time I checked, trout ate eggs just like they eat worms and hoppers and mayfly duns. If you tied it and it is legal, I am glad you caught fish with it. I am also glad to hear about 11 mile. You are the second poster that has had good success there recently. Well done.

I know that the Cheesman parking lot was closed and was scheduled to open on Dec. 31 according the the Flies and Lies report on Friday. Do you have a ride into Gill Trail?

Gary
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

11 Mile Canyon is a great winter fishery ain't it! I love that place. As far as your trash fly, I agree with Gary.
Are you going to hike in from the top of Cheesman tomorrow? If so be very careful on that trail, ice and steep is a bad combo. If not let us know where you park, since the Gill Trail lot is still closed.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:29 AM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the concern, gents. Once again thanks to this crazy weather, the trail is perfectly dry, if still a heart pumping start and end to the day.

I did park up top, ran into one fella coming back after he made it up the switchbacks and took a look at the trail across the draw and decided to turn around. The only other guy in the canyon was fishing the closest pools, so I hiked down river about a mile. Wish I could say it was a better day, but I fished hard for three fish all day---all on Mercury Black Beauties. There were heavy midge hatches twice during the day, but I saw all of maybe six rises, as per usual during winter conditions.

I lost the charger to my outdoor camera and the wife won't let me take the Nikon, so I'm low on pictures until after the holidays and I have the spare cash for a new charger. I did take on picture with the phone, though, on the hike out: The river is down in the heart of that shadow, for those of you unfamiliar with the area.

Click the image to open in full size.