The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM

labail is on a distinguished road
Default April in Colorado

So i've decided on making a family trip to Colorado this coming year. The week of Easter is a good time for this outing from the looks of things, in 2011 easter falls on April 24, I was wondering if I could have some suggestions on a good area to stay in Colorado. I was looking at Silverthorne for the reason of the close proximity to a few waters. However i am unsure of maybe some other possible areas around colorado that might have some waters that fish better that time of year.. Like i said im just trying to get some foundation on where i should be looking at staying on this trip, obviously i'd like to be close to the water. But runoff and how certain rivers fish in certain seasons is something i'd appreciate some help on understanding as to where i should be looking at staying for this journey.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice
Default Re: April in Colorado

April in Colorado is Amazing!..Pick a river any River..Pre runoff..warm temps..
Be prepaired though one day you might see 50+* on the water the next you might be burried in 50" of Sierra cement
Hope that helped a little
Steve
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto! I'm partial to the Roaring Fork/Frying Pan (mainly because I have in-laws in the area so lodging is free), but like DOK says, pick a river, any river you can't go wrong, the fish are coming out of winter mode and are more than willing to participate.

Larry

Larry
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

You've got me excited about it already ... how long do I have to wait?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 AM

labail is on a distinguished road

Well that's always a good thing to hear! This has definitely upped my confidence as to choosing an area, thank you for the input. I was worried i would be heading up to late and the rivers would be blown out
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM

mnflyangler1 is on a distinguished road

Whenever I go to CO I stay in silverthorne and fish the blue which runs right through town and is filled with lots of big trout and April is BWO time which can be spectacular. Then there is the Colorado River to the north in middle park which is another great option although I have never fished it at that time. Then the frying pan and roaring fork are 2 hours away. The yampa river is two hours north of Silverthorne. Then the dream stream is about an hour and a half away. So really like mentioned earlier you have tons of options and you really can't go wrong.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM

the_infidel will become famous soon enoughthe_infidel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnflyangler1 View Post
Whenever I go to CO I stay in silverthorne and fish the blue which runs right through town and is filled with lots of big trout and April is BWO time which can be spectacular. Then there is the Colorado River to the north in middle park which is another great option although I have never fished it at that time. Then the frying pan and roaring fork are 2 hours away. The yampa river is two hours north of Silverthorne. Then the dream stream is about an hour and a half away. So really like mentioned earlier you have tons of options and you really can't go wrong.
^ what he said! if you find yourself further south there is always the dream stream and the ark. i would caution against fishing the ark with mnflyangler though, he will give ya a spanking!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Larry. Not only are the Pan and Fork great April rivers, Glenwood Springs is a great family destination.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

What is the best float within 4 or 5 hours of Denver, second weekend in April?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
What is the best float within 4 or 5 hours of Denver, second weekend in April?
Go-Go Gadget.............Gunnison!!!