The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Roaring Fork in April: Guide or Solo?

Any recommendations on going with a guide vs solo for a 2-day Frying Pan/ Roaring Fork trip I'm planning in April? I would appreciate your recommendations. Here is some info that may help with your suggestions.

-I'm a novice. Have only ~20 ff outtings unde my belt.
-Never fished either frying pan or roaring fork. Completely new area.
-I don't mind exploring at all...kind of enjoyable.
-Targeting thursday and friday...2nd or 3rd week in April.
-I've never been on a float trip.

If you are recommending guide, any specific guides that you would recommend? Float, wade or both? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

-Paul
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide
Default Re: Roaring Fork in April: Guide or Solo?

I am a guide so I will always reccomend one, but I also book guided trips for my vacation. You can learn a ton from most guides, or you can kick back and fish and just enjoy the day, let the guide take care of you. I am a MT guide and don't know CO rivers but I think it is very advantagous to pick up a guide. pick his or her brain, have em teach you new techniques and point out spots or other rivers/lakes that you can fish on your own, I always try to help my clients enjoy their trip through its entirety, whether they are with me the whole time or not
have fun!! thats the name of the game!
Brooks Jessen MT guide #9431 Montana Fly Fishing, Missoula Montana, Montana Fly Fishing for Trout. Classic Journey Outfitters.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Eagletrout is on a distinguished road

I would highly recomend the Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt. Ask for Gifford, he is a great float guide for the Roaring Fork. He is a friend of mine and a great guide. Also, Taylor Creek has a great selection of flies that work on the Pan and the Fork. Ask for Tim Heng or Will Sands for more info on these great rivers. Taylor Creek Fly Shops, Colorado Fly Fishing

I guide out of Gore Creek Fly Fisherman, Fly Fishing Vail Colorado - Gore Creek Flyfisherman If you decide to fish near the Vail Valley give us a call.

Tight Lines! I hope that helps.

-Mark Wechsler <'{{{{{><
Gore Creek Fly Fisherman Guide
Fly Fishing Vail Colorado - Gore Creek Flyfisherman
970-476-3296
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletrout View Post
I would highly recomend the Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt. Ask for Gifford, he is a great float guide for the Roaring Fork. He is a friend of mine and a great guide. Also, Taylor Creek has a great selection of flies that work on the Pan and the Fork. Ask for Tim Heng or Will Sands for more info on these great rivers. Taylor Creek Fly Shops, Colorado Fly Fishing

I guide out of Gore Creek Fly Fisherman, Fly Fishing Vail Colorado - Gore Creek Flyfisherman If you decide to fish near the Vail Valley give us a call.

Tight Lines! I hope that helps.

-Mark Wechsler <'{{{{{><
Gore Creek Fly Fisherman Guide
Fly Fishing Vail Colorado - Gore Creek Flyfisherman
970-476-3296
You best call now to get on with Giff. He's widely known and you would be in great hands with him.

Mark, glad to have you here. I fished the Eagle in Avon back in July of 2004 and had little luck, due to high flows and insufficient knowledge of how to fish heavy water. I'll try to get ahold of you if I ever get back there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Paul

The local fly shops will have a map titled "Roaring Fork and Frying Pan Rivers, Fishing map and floaters guide". It is around $10, but well worth the money as it details all of the public access stretchs on both of those rivers. I would highly recommend a guide for at least one day, then you will have an idea of how to fish the Roaring Fork and what water types to look for. Personally, I use Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt, but I don't think you will go wrong with any of the local shops. Feel free to PM with specific questions about fishing Roaring Fork.

Larry
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

If we get some warm temps here in April, the fork may be off color.It has snowed the last week, but if we get a warm streak, expect some runoff. The pan is a great alternative when the free stone rivers get blown. The pan can be great in April, i was there last year mid april and did very well.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM

80skeys is on a distinguished road

you know I'm a self taught angler and it generally has worked out pretty well on small mountain rivers, but I can see the advantage to hiring a guide once in a while, and here's why:

Last summer I went to the San Juan in New Mexico (the famous tailwaters). The first day I was there I fished it on my own. I hooked absolutely nothing. No strikes. Yet every time a guide came by in a boat with his clients, they were landing fish left and right.

The next day I hired a guide, we went out on a boat, he showed me which flies to use and how to set up the rig, and sure enough I was landing them left and right too.

So, I think with a brand new area a guide is a good idea.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I think I'll hire a guide the first day and then strike out on my own the next...probably closer to Glenwood. I appreciate the feedback. I'll let you know how the trip goes.

-Paul