The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM

MTGrizman is on a distinguished road
Default Cody anglers

I'm relatively new to the Cody, WY area and this will be my first real fishing season here. Any tips on the area?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Cody anglers

Hi MTGrizman,

I don't know a lot about your area but there is a bunch of fishing. One place about 10 miles from Cody is Monster Lake. You use to be able to fish there for $150/day. Well worth it if you want to hook up with a big fish. The bad news is I think they closed it to the public. At least that was the rummer last year.

You are only 50-60 miles from Yellowstone. Yellowstone Lake is 65 miles. I think you need to start up a friendship with the local fly shop. That is how to get up to date info.

Frank
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: I wish it were so, but a couple years back a developer bought the ranch that Monster Lake is on and it is now private. As of last summer the property was just sitting empty and with the economy I'm guessing he hasn't been able to do anything yet. Argh!

Another good option if you have a float tube or pontoon is the lakes just past the gun club. I don't recall the name but there are some nice trout in those two lakes, just head north on hwy 120 and you will see the gun club sign on the left, turn in there and drive past the gun club, you will see the two lakes on the right. There are a bunch of other options in the Cody area, and like Frank says make friends with the local fly shops there in town.

Larry
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I am moving to 10 miles outside of cody in less than a month. I will have really good advice in about 4 months or so, however I have lived in greybull, wyoming the last couple summers, so i have fished the cody area a fair bit.

My recommendation this time of year would be the clarks fork of the yellowstone. The best part about the clarks fork is that the best fishing is on public land. You just have to willing to work for it. The further you can get away from a road the better. The canyon is especially good, and this is the time of year to hit it. You wont want to be fishing it in July-Aug when all the rattlers are around.

The shoshone river as well can be pretty good, i have done really well on that river, however i have only fished private land. I wont tell you which landowners to go knock on, but i will say that around 1/4 of the landowners are pretty nice and will let you on. If you are going to be living around the cody area for a while you should go knock on some doors. Alot of them will let you hunt waterfowl and deer as well. Good luck finding someone that will let you hunt upland though.

All the creeks are good. Find a creek on a map, and go knock on landowners doors. Once again, lots of nice guys in the area, with some pretty spectacular fishing on their property. The best fishing I have had in central wyoming is on this one landowners property who is from georgia. He doesnt even fish, and no one else in the last 5 years that he has owned the property has asked him to fish it. That is what you want to look for in a fishing spot.

Good luck, and if you are interested maybe we can head out fishing this summer when i move to cody.

Griz Suck!
Go Bobcats!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Monster Lake was purchased by Tim Blixseth for his Yellowstone World Club. For those of you unfamiliar with Blixseth he was a timber guy who land swapped his way through timber properties until he acquired a prime chunk of land adjacent to Big Sky Resort in Montana. He turned the place into an ultra exclusive private gated community that offers it's members skiing and golfing along with their overpriced lots in old timber clear cuts. The place is called the Yellowstone Club and it is in complete and total turmoil right now with Bankruptcy courts about to Auction the property off to the highest bidder. If you unfamiliar with the club and it's issues you will enjoy reading the made for TV Drama that will ultimately only make a few people any money, and that is the lawyers representing all the parties involved.

Part of the Bankruptcy case has to do with a loan Tim and his ex wife Edra took out for 350 million dollars. Lawyers are trying to sort out where the 350 million went because much of it wound up in the pockets of Tim and Edra for their private jets, other business ventures including Tim's idea of expanding the Yellowstone Club idea to one that included properties all over the world. Mr. Blixseth purchased castles in Europe, exclusive yachts and other properties. Monster Lake was one of those purchases and it has been sitting barren for the past couple of years. I don't know if the lake and the property are up for auction at this time but with the financial troubles these two stooges have gotten themselves into it could be on the Auction block soon.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Biggie: Thanks for the detailed information on the Monster Lake property. Last year I was in Cody and stopped in at the local fly shops and asked if they still had fishing rights, that is when I found out it went private, but they didn't have any real details.

Larry
Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Bump.

I just moved to Cody in late April. I've been fishing four times since I have been here, but I've only netted two fish. One on the South Fork and one on the North Fork. I've also fished the Clark's Fork and the Shoshone (in town), but the fishing is real hard right now.

I am pretty excited to learn the waters in and around Cody. If any locals want to help me shorten my learning curve, I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I have been out 7 times in the last couple weeks since i moved to cody.

Sunshine reservoir is really good fishing right now. The best fishing this time of year is right near the shore. When we went last weekend everybody was catching fish. Olive Wooly buggers seemed to be the best bet. If you decide to head down this way you might want to bring a pair of waders to try and get out a little bit.

I have mainly been fishing the lower shoshone(downstream of cody). The lower shoshone has had pretty decent evening caddis hatches, however nothing has been surfacing. The basic hares ear has been working though.

It was high and a greenish color up into a couple days ago, however on friday it turned to chocolate. I probably wouldnt recommend it, until the water changes back to green. I am not sure when that will be, as i am just as new to the cody area as you are.

i will shoot you a PM about a creek fairly close to town that is public access.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Appreciate the heads up MT. I drove out to Clark's Fork down by Edelweiss Saturday and it was chocolate whitewater. I didn't even wet my line. I thought my chances of being swept down river was higher than my chances of landing a fish, so I went back home to bed.

I was there the weekend before and the water was a lot lower, but still pretty cloudy. I fished it for about four hours as there was a lot of caddis flies on the banks. I couldn't get a hook-up though.

After living in Phoenix for the last eight years, I am pretty damn excited about being back up in trout country.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
SJDrifli will become famous soon enoughSJDrifli will become famous soon enough

The name of the lakes just outside of Cody are the Newton lakes, there are some nice fish in the C&R lake, big bows, browns and there are splake in there, at least there was the last time I fished it, which was 1997. Stop in to North Fork Anglers, great guys in there and they will steer you in the right direction.