The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM

80skeys is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for around Grand Junction

Hi all, I'm new to the GJ area and just want to solicit some suggestions for where to fish around here.

I've been twice to Pleasure Park near Delta (where the North Fork and Gunnison come together.) Had decent success on both forks using little bright midges.

I heard about the river near Meeker. Drove there a few weeks ago but it was all frozen up. Anyone know when it opens up? What to use on it?

Also heard about Roarding Fork and Frying Pan ... are those seasonal?

80skeys
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for around Grand Junction

The Frying Pan is a tailwater so it fishes well all year long. But it is one of the best in CO, IMO.

Roaring Fork, is a freestone river, and during spring, it will have very high, muddy flows.

Hope this helps, let meknow if you have any questions on either of these places.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Yes actually I do have some questions.

How does the Frying Pan compare to the San Juan tailwaters in NM? Same kind of fishing? What are the recommended flies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradokid View Post
The Frying Pan is a tailwater so it fishes well all year long. But it is one of the best in CO, IMO.

Roaring Fork, is a freestone river, and during spring, it will have very high, muddy flows.

Hope this helps, let meknow if you have any questions on either of these places.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Run off hasn't started yet on the Roaring Fork with the winter storms we have been getting. It should be fishing just fine. I fished it last Easter and it was great. You should check the river reports on the local fly shops, they will give you the most accurate information.
Frying Pan Anglers - Colorado Fly Fishing at its Finest

Roaring Fork River and valley fishing report

Current Report

Larry
Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

80, they are completely different rivers. I have only been to the Sj once, it is much bigger and wider than the pan. The pan is about 12 miles long untill it hits the Roaring Fork in Basalt, CO. The pan is different mile by mile. The toilet bow, where the water comes out of the reservoir, is very popular and holds lots of fish. Mysis shrimp come out of the reservoir into the river, but only last about a little less than a mile down from the toilet bowl, b/c they die. But these shrimp grow those fish big and colorful. There are many nice runs to fish with in mile of toilet bowl. After this section, down river, there is a lot of private land, but also some good private. You will see pull offs on the drive up the from basalt to the toilet bowl. These are all public waters. Most this water is pocket water. At first glance the Pan seems to be a stream or small water, nothing like the Sj. i suggest you stop by Taylor Creek fly, in basalt, for what flys to use, those guys will set you up.
Feel free to ask any other questions, i know there are many on here who have fished the pan, or have before, so im sure they will chime in too.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

Okay, I went to Basalt two weeks ago. I went up to the Pan below the dam. I was very pleased with my success there fishing mysis shrimp. Then I made my way down the river and was also pleased with the quality of the fishing all the way. Nice spots, good clear water. I like the Pan a lot. It's a lot like the San Juan, except smaller. A miniature SJ. Actually the Pan is easier to fish, the water is lower and more accessible below the dam.

I tried the Fork, but didnt' like it, it was muddy and high, and didn't catch any fish. Even though the fly shop recommended using stone flies or prince nymphs. No luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Oh and on the Pan I used a long 7x tippet on a 5x leader (cuz I didn't have other leader) and that worked pretty well. Next time however I wil use a 9' 6x leader/6x tippet with a small weight and probably put the float about 3' from the fly if the water level hasn't changed. I'm thinking that should work well.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I grew in Grand Junction and lived there for 25 years basically. I agree with others: The pan and fork!

But, don't discount a couple other areas. In the summer, the Grand Mesa - lots of small rainbows and brookies in beaver ponds and small streams. And the Gunnison up by Montrose - Bigger water. Both of those are within an hour or so of GJ. ALso, go to Utah and try the rivers there.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The Frying Pan is a tailwater so run off won't impact that river. It offers excellent fishing. If you head over to Basalt, I would suggest you get a river map of the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork as it will show all of the public access points. The run off is underway on the Roaring Fork. Under normal water flows the Roaring Fork also fishes extremely well. Here is what Frying Pan Anglers says in their river report:
The Fork has lifted a little more this week and is approaching 900cfs. The discoloration is serious rendering fishing below Carbondale more an exercise in hope than in good sense unless you just want casting practice. The Colorado is out of the question. The Pan is excellent with the tributaries having settled at a consistent flow and consequentially have cleared well.

The coming week offers some clouds and rain for a day or so and then generally after that more hot weather and bright sun which will accelerate the flows in the Fork a little more with temperatures in the 70ís.

With the rivers significantly up it is now a matter of fishing either the Pan or the Fork very high up. This weekend, we had a lot of visitors in town enjoying the Pan. Given that most of the rivers for 100ís of miles have blown out the Pan is a destination of choice for the moment.

Cameron fished lower down the Pan this weekend to see how it was fishing and reports that from town up the fishing was excellent so there is plenty of access if you are coming up next weekend.

Frying Pan Anglers - Colorado Fly Fishing at its Finest

Larry