The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on carp?
legitimate sport fish 21 58.33%
not a primary target, but worth the fight 10 27.78%
something to be tolerated 2 5.56%
a plague on quality trout waters 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Carp trophy or worthless Sucker?

I think carp get a bad rap, and get excited about the privledge of catching them. That said, if I had a fish on that I was convinced was a 20" brown, and it turned out to be a carp, I would become, and likely stay disappointed.

What's great about carp is that besides the fact that they are hard to catch, they often grow quite large. A 20" carp isn't as exciting to me as a 20" brown, because a carp that size is so much more common.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Heres the story, wendsday after the son got home from school, me the wife and the son went bass fishing on our lake, we did ok but, along the banks in pockets and coves we seen 100's of carp from 12-25" long. So the next evening we headed back out them with bass gear and me with 3 flyrods. We went back to the same places and sure enough teh carp were still there. They werent really eating anything just kinda swiiming up and down the banks and laying in shady spots. I put 8 diffrenet patterns in front of mnay diffrent fish, only 5-6 showed any intrest and two took, one I got over excited and set the hook to soon(bad thing about seeing the take lol) and the next one I fought almost all the way to the boat and the hook came out, he looked to be about 10-12 lbs and fought like a bull, man what a fight. We also seen several large gar swiming around a couple went 3 foot or so, so after the "weekend" people are done on the lake ya bet monday I am back out with my gar flies.
Bear
Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Re: Carp trophy or worthless Sucker?

I want to thank everyone who posted. Some interesting and well-reasoned points of view. This has made for some interesting discussions between my friends and I.

I went over to a local pond this week with my 17 year old daughter and a friend searching for small mouth. I hooked into a 24 inch carp instead. Luckily I was using my 6 weight, but only had on 5x leader and tippet. The smallies in that pond don't get very large and the water was quite stained. Anyway, that fish darted immediately for deeper water and then made long, slow turns, stopping to shake its head now and again. He would make quick runs back toward shore and then head back out into the middle. He took me into my backing three different times. After and hour and fifteen minutes of holding on for dear life and subtly moving him closer and closer to shore, in and out of cattails and reeds, away from sunken logs, I got him into the shallows. I had no net and no camera, but the thing was huge, and strong. Was easily in the 10 pound range. All I have to show for my efforts is the story and a really stupid sunburn from standing in the exact same position for so long.

My daughter was quite impressed with the size of the ugly bugger. My friend has started to rethink his opinions about carp as "trash fish". I was delighted at having landed a big fish on fairly light line. It was a good test of skill and I plan to go back for more.

I still don't plan to base my fly fishing life around carp, and don't want to hook into one in a pristine trout stream, but as an occasional distraction close to home, they are worth the effort.

Next: Wiper!!! Check out the fish in this small pond located in Parker, CO where I live. http://www.coloradoskiesoutfitters.c...r_Fishing.html

Now that looks like fun!!!

Gary
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 AM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

My Dad Caught his first fish on a fly rod on Memorial Day this year. It was a nice big bow out of the Flaming Gorge res. Tonight we went up on the Colorado River under the Shadow Mountain Dam. He caught a 24" Bugle Mouth Bass on a streamer, it put up one heck of a fight sure looked like he was having fun. I caught a smaller one earlier this year on down the river during super high water, didn't bum me out at all. I would rather smell like sucker than skunk.

Peace,
TM
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deomojo View Post
My Dad Caught his first fish on a fly rod on Memorial Day this year. It was a nice big bow out of the Flaming Gorge res. Tonight we went up on the Colorado River under the Shadow Mountain Dam. He caught a 24" Bugle Mouth Bass on a streamer, it put up one heck of a fight sure looked like he was having fun. I caught a smaller one earlier this year on down the river during super high water, didn't bum me out at all. I would rather smell like sucker than skunk.

Peace,
TM
TM, We are headed up to the Shadow Mountain tailwater in mid july. Do you fish that stretch often? It has been three years since I have walked all the way down to Lake Granby. We did real well on midges though most of the fish were on the small side. Does it still fish good? Any recommendations or tips?

By the way. I caught a 17" carp under the dam last time I was there. But this is my concern. I still hope you can catch 25 trout to every one carp in these waters. The occasional surprise carp is one thing, but if that is the predominant species, I will go somewhere else.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
By the way. I caught a 17" carp under the dam last time I was there. But this is my concern. I still hope you can catch 25 trout to every one carp in these waters. The occasional surprise carp is one thing, but if that is the predominant species, I will go somewhere else.

Any thoughts?
That stretch of the Colorado is great especially when they are letting water out. Same day my dad caught the carp my buddy released a 24" Brown and a couple of nice sized bows. We were there for almost 2 hours.

drawbacks: tends to be a popular spot. The local tackle shops will almost always recommend it. You can ( not sure on the regs.) people do fish with bait right under the dam so it is often wall to wall.

once you go down from the dam it loosens up small section closed due to the mighty osprey.

Big fish eat big food on the bottom. If play with the drys you will catch small fish, with a few wonderful exceptions. If you fish larger nymphs or wets you just might get your arm pulled off.

Lots of wildlife including moose so watch yer step and your dog. One side of the river is National Park so no dog allowed

drop me a note before you come up and I will try to turn you on to good spots. We have a few up here
Peace,
Tim