The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Birdie is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing trip to Colorado

I am planning to visit a cousin in vail, CO this summer for the teva mountain games. I normally fish small streams in PA with a 5 wt. floating line. I'm not sure what the rivers are like in CO so I'm wondering what's the right equipment (line wieght, rod legnth, etc.)? Any advice would be greatly apprecatied. Thanks oh and the trip will be around june 4-7.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing trip to Colorado

Birdie
Your 5wt rig is standard equipment for Colorado. You can Google fly fishing in Vail to find some good water in the area. I'd highly recommend not missing the Eagle River. Your Google search should lead you to stream conditions for the runoff. If not let me know and I'll scrounge up some links for you.
Check out local shops for the hot flies for your visit. You're gonna love it out here.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Birdie: Here are a couple of links in your qwest for more information.
Fly Fishing Colorado: Vail/Beaver Creek Fly Shop, Guided Trips, Guide & Rowing School

Fly Fishing Guides,Vail Colorado:Guided Fly Fishing Trips:Voted Vails#1 Fly Shop 2005 , 2006 & 2007

Your visit in June will be in the middle of run off, but I would ask the two fly shops above for ideas on streams to fish and recommendations on flies.

Larry
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

Birdie

Most rivers will be be blown, i sent you a PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
I am planning to visit a cousin in vail, CO this summer for the teva mountain games. I normally fish small streams in PA with a 5 wt. floating line. I'm not sure what the rivers are like in CO so I'm wondering what's the right equipment (line wieght, rod legnth, etc.)? Any advice would be greatly apprecatied. Thanks oh and the trip will be around june 4-7.
As a fellow PA stream flyfisher and a frequent fly fisher in the area where you are going I can assure you that a 5 wt will work fine and you should feel right at home in most major name streams near and around Vail including the Eagle, Fryingpan, Roaring Fork (above Aspen), Arkansas, S. Platte, Blue, etc.

If you should go looking for a guide over towards the Arkansas, Blue, S. Platte, etc., these folks are great: Breckenridge Outfitters | Flyfishing | Breckenridge, Colorado . If you try a guide from Breckenridge Outfitters I would ask for Billy Berger or Mike Workman, but you really can't go wrong with any guide they have on staff. I know that Billy or Mike will put you on fish no matter what your skill set. The linked photos are a rainbow trout Billy found for me in the Dream Stream (Billy shown with trout) and Mike and my daughter with one of the brown trout Mike helped my total flyfishing neophyte daughter find in the Colorado/Williams Fork.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...13_Cropped.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...69_Cropped.jpg