The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Roaring Fork 4/19; Frying Pan 4/20

Trip Report Roaring Fork 4/19; Frying Pan 4/20

Went with a buddy of mine to try these two rivers. First time for each of us. Overall trip was great. Drive up I-70 west Sat am was a little touch and go due to huge snow storm that hit Thur-Sat. We headed up as soon as I-70 opened up. We went through Taylor Creek Fly Shop and had a guide both days. Our guide was Kyle Holt and he did a great job. I would recommend both the shop and Kyle if you are looking for some guided fishing in the area.

Roaring Fork Sunday 4/19
This was my first ever float trip and it was great. I will look to book more such trips in the future as it was quite the experience being able to cover so much water in a day. Caught rainbows (12-14"), browns (12-14"), white fish (up to 20") and one sucker.
Entire day was spent nymphing and I had an opportunity to practice technique all day long. San Juan worm, STD, black midge, hare's ear, and a few others in sizes 16-18. 4x fluorocarbon. Fishing never got incredibly hot but never completely cooled off. No complaints at all as Kyle was extremely patient with our novice skill level.

Frying Pan Monday 4/20
Another great day, though very different from Sunday. Morning was spent less than 1/2 mile from the dam. Mostly browns around 12" with the occasional 16". All nymphing. Used black midge, candy cane, pheasant tail. Sizes 18-22.
Afternoon was fantastic. Spent ~ 2 miles from dam. Kyle found us some areas with big fish. We came across 2 pools with ~3 20" rainbows in each pool. Hooked four and landed 1. Used pheasant tail, egg, and black midge 18-22. 6x fluorocarbon. This was my first experience with 20" plus fish. Lots of fun to hook and fight. Very exciting to see these big fish jump. Also good practice for me getting a fish on the reel and letting the drag to the work.

Overall trip was great. Hopefully this trip report is helpful.

-Paul
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roaring Fork 4/19; Frying Pan 4/20

Paul

Sounds like you had a great time fishing two of Colorado's finest rivers. I really enjoy fishing over there, have yet to float the Roaring Fork, but I intend to get the boat over there this summer.

Larry
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a great two days. The Pan sure has some hogs in it. How did you like catching the White Fish?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 PM

White fish were unexpectedly strong and lots of fun to bring in. It was first time for me getting into the backing of my reel. The sound the spinning reel was great and a couple of times we really had to chase them down. First time catching white fish for me.

The surprise of the trip was the sucker. Actually jumped shortly after I hooked him....never seen a sucker jump before.

-Paul
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM

80skeys is on a distinguished road

What are "white fish?"
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

80skeys: Here is what Colorado Game and Fish says: A native to Colorado in the Yampa and White rivers, whitefish have also been introduced in the Colorado River and Cache la Poudre drainages. These fish have larger scales than trout and still possess an adipose fin (small flap of skin on their back toward the tail). A weak mouth means delicate hooking and handling is required to land this fish. Smoked whitefish are considered a delicacy in many parts of the country.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountainWhiteFish.jpg (22.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM

80skeys is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info ... are they fished the same as the trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
80skeys: Here is what Colorado Game and Fish says: A native to Colorado in the Yampa and White rivers, whitefish have also been introduced in the Colorado River and Cache la Poudre drainages. These fish have larger scales than trout and still possess an adipose fin (small flap of skin on their back toward the tail). A weak mouth means delicate hooking and handling is required to land this fish. Smoked whitefish are considered a delicacy in many parts of the country.

Larry
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

On our float trip we fished for whitefish the same as trout. Same flies and same nymphing technique. One of my obervations was that they tended to hold in slightly deeper water, but I can't say that's a real trend vs just what we observed on our 1-day trip.

-Paul
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 AM

Eagletrout is on a distinguished road

If you are catching whitefish on the Fork or the Colorado rivers you are nymphing deep enough to hook a Big trout. White fish almost always hug the bottom of the stream in the deeper holes of the river. Nice job on your trip. I hear the caddis are really coming off down there now. Dry fly action has started! Tight lines!