The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default The Animas - Durango Advice.

I have a family function scheduled in Durango the first week of June. Does anybody have any local information on what bodies of water might be fishable at that time of the year. There is one member of my group that cannot walk far or on rugged terrain, but a gentle mile long hike might be doable. Would love to fish the Animas, but I fear that it will be too high.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Animas - Durango Advice.

The Animas will be blown out with spring run off during the first part of June. When I have fished down there in June I always fished the San Juan (tailwater). If you decide to fish the San Juan you might want to check out this site for up to date fishing information: San Juan River Fly Fishing

You might also want to give Duranlgers a call to see if there is anything else.
Duranglers - fly fishing resource for Durango Colorado and the San Juan River

Larry
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I fished the Deloris below the dam a few years back it was pretty nice---went with a guide from Duranglers.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 PM

80skeys is on a distinguished road

The Animas right in the middle of town. Good access. Good fishing. Wadeable but be careful because there's some real deep spots and in June the run off will be high and the water fast. If you fish deep into the pools probaby better fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
I have a family function scheduled in Durango the first week of June. Does anybody have any local information on what bodies of water might be fishable at that time of the year. There is one member of my group that cannot walk far or on rugged terrain, but a gentle mile long hike might be doable. Would love to fish the Animas, but I fear that it will be too high.