The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
upnorth angler is on a distinguished road
Default Need some Bighorn in July Advice.

My son and I are coming out west in July to fish in Yellowstone and wanted to do a day trip on the Bighorn on the way home. Have checked out a few lodges in Fort Smith and we're thinking about Bighorn Anglers or Bighorn River Fly Fishers. We are limited with funds so we are wanting to do the self guide thing with a drift boat rented from 1 of these places. My question is that I see these places also offer a 2 night stay with boat rental for 1 day and meals for a very cheap price. Are these offers to good to be true? Has anyone ever done this before and what place would you recommend? We've been planning this trip for well over a year and we don't want any surprises. I know we should hire a guide for the 1st time on a new river, but I don't have the extra cash. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some Bighorn in July Advice.

I have yet to fish the Bighorn but looking at the two web sites, Bighorn Anglers advertises the Drift Boat package at $155 x 2 people (two nights lodging and one day drift boat rental). I didn't see where that included food, just that it was conveniently close. I didn't see where they charge extra for shuttle service. The Bighorn river Fly Fisher offers a boat rental for $125 and a lodge room for 2 for $75/night or the fishermans quarters for 2 for $60/night. You might also consider camping and saving the money for the rooms and renting a boat for two days. At any rate I would call them and ask about the shuttle (if that is included) and whether or not meals are included. I didn't see where meals were included, but I may have missed that. Good luck on your fishing trip.

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area | Montana | Public Lands Information Center | Recreation Search

Larry
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Bob,
Bighorn Angler and Bighorn River Fly Fishers are actually run by the same person. The difference in price for the package deal at the Bighorn Fly Fishers is because of the accommodations. The Bighorn Angler rooms are a bit nicer and I believe have amenities such as TV's in the rooms. The Bighorn River Flyfisher rooms are a basic room with a couple of beds. They are both good deals and I am sure that Eric or one of his staff will be able to give you more details on the packages if you give them a call. Good luck on your trip this summer.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM

aphex0 is on a distinguished road

How about Bighorn in September? Bad Idea??
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I believe that Bighorn Angler is under new management since about June I believe. We stayed there in the fisherman's quarters just over a year ago and it was a dump. Almost nothing worked and they were extremely dirty. No hot water, no heat in March, the doors could be opened even if locked. So, unless something has changed with new owners, I would not stay in those again.

But, I cannot comment on their other accommodations, so it depends on what you get in the package. The drift boats were Hyde high sides. They didn't leak or anything. They put them right on the water and the shuttle was prompt and safe.

The Bighorn Trout Shop has really nice accommodations, but a bit more pricey. Feels more like a lodge. When my wife and I go we stay there.

Take a look at the Cottonwood Camp at Three Mile. This place is one of my favorite fishing camps to go with the guys. Really inexpensive rooms of all types. They also rent drift boats.

Cottonwood Camp on the Bighorn River