The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough
Default Eastern Boys Headed To The Western World

Hey guys, long time no post, been busy finishing up school, and fishing as much as possible! But guys i need some help! 2 friends and I are headed on a road/fishing trip from the mountains of North Carolina to northern Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Were ending the trip with a week in Yellowstone. Were not taking any kind of boat thanks to our economy and the wonderful raising gas prices so we need some help finding some good rivers to fish that is wadeable. Were trying to locate some good rivers and catch as many species as possible. We'll be out there for about 3 weeks and looking for some real neat streams and sights to check out! If you have any knowledge about these areas we would love some feedback. Trust me, any help would be greatly appreciated and used! Thanks so much for your help and as always tight lines and god bless!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eastern Boys Headed To The Western World

Nathan: What time frame are you talking about. All the freestone rivers in the west are in run off conditions and that should last for another 3-4 weeks depending on the stream. In the interim you could hit some tailwaters. There are hundreds of choices in the areas you are looking at, to name a few, for Colorado I would suggest the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan rivers in the Basalt area, further north you could hit one of the many streams and small lakes in Rockie Mountain NP just west of Estes, CO. Going north from there I would hit the North Platte river which starts near Walden, CO and heads north into southern WY. While in that area you would also have the opportunity to hit the Yampa river, it runs through Steamboat Springs, CO and just south of town is another good tailwater coming out of Stagecoach reservoir. The upper sections of the North Platte have plenty of public access, but as you get into the lower sections it is mostly private land. In the same area I would also recommend French and Douglas creeks in the Snowy Mtns west of Laramie, WY. North of Sinclair, WY the North Platte goes through a couple large reservoirs and the output of Pathfinder reservoir is a section called the Miracle Mile that has some pretty decent fishing and its all on public land so access is not a problem and there are campsites along the river. Then if you like tailwaters you could hit the Grey Reef section of the North Platte about 30 miles south of Casper, WY. The land is mstly private, but the state has a number of public access points along the river for good wade fishing. Then you could either head north and hit the Bighorn river, another tailwater in Ft Smith, MT or another option would be to head northwest and hit the upper Green River just north of Pinedale, WY. Just above the Warren Bridge there is BLM land along the river for about 20 miles with around 12 campsites. From there you are about 75 miles from Jackson, WY and the southern end of Yellowstone Park. So many choices, so little time! Good luck with your trip.

Larry
Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Dotsonnt will become famous soon enoughDotsonnt will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much Larry! Thats exactly what we needed! We are leaving Carolina June 15th and should be out there around the 17th on, until early July. Again thank you so much! Good fishing
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan: Your welcome, but realize you will have to pick your fishing locations as your timing of the trip will be during the run off in most cases, but you will still find lots of excellent water to fish. As you firm up your plans don't hesitate to ask about specific areas, we have lots of very knowledgable folks here on the forum. Good luck with your trip it sounds like it will be fun.

Larry
Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Damn, for a second, I thought that the header was gonna end with "West End Girls"

80's flashback.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Damn, for a second, I thought that the header was gonna end with "West End Girls"

80's flashback.
Axle: That was funny! Probably more truth to that than one might think!

Larry
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Or "...they've got your skinny girl here at the..."

Anyway, I'm envious that you'll have so much water to cover for your adventure. The Grand Tetons area will be so scenic and productive as will much of Wyo. and Colo. Consider the North Platte, the Blue, Deckers, the Roaring Fork in Colo., the Green, the Snake, the Firehole in Wyo., and ALL of Mont. Good luck and have fun. I'll be fishing the Gunnison in Colo. by the Black Canyon which is supposed to have great water and superlative views. Consider a float trip down that too.