The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road
Default My Montana expo!

First off I would like to introduce my self My name is colton I live in missoula montana I just recently moved here I grew up on the tail waters of the owyhee river in eastern oregon beautiful place to fish with browns pushing the 28-30 inch mark when I moved to missoula I promised my self with so much opertunity I was not going to limit my self to one or two rivers so here are my top 10 places I would like to hit this year (some have already been fished before run off during the amazing squala hatch) Also you will see some places that do not seem popular or a "good" place to go exp lolo creek that is because I would like to teach my girl friend to fish with me on my last trip to the beaver head!!! Cant wait for the rivers to come down!!

1) Bitteroot
2) Rock Creek
3) Blackfoot
4) Little Blackfoot
5) Lolo creek
6) Swan River
7) Glacier NP back country lakes
8) St. Regis River
9) Ruby River
10) Beaverhead River
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Montana expo!

Welcome to the forumlucky you to live in Montana! hope I'll come here for a trip when I retire
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Colton: Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a good list for learning the rivers in Montana, good luck and be sure to post your fishing reports and include pictures if you have a camera.

Larry
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonwynn View Post
First off I would like to introduce my self My name is colton I live in missoula montana I just recently moved here I grew up on the tail waters of the owyhee river in eastern oregon beautiful place to fish with browns pushing the 28-30 inch mark when I moved to missoula I promised my self with so much opertunity I was not going to limit my self to one or two rivers so here are my top 10 places I would like to hit this year (some have already been fished before run off during the amazing squala hatch) Also you will see some places that do not seem popular or a "good" place to go exp lolo creek that is because I would like to teach my girl friend to fish with me on my last trip to the beaver head!!! Cant wait for the rivers to come down!!

1) Bitteroot
2) Rock Creek
3) Blackfoot
4) Little Blackfoot
5) Lolo creek
6) Swan River
7) Flint creek
8) Big hole
9) Ruby River
10) Beaverhead River

Ok so here is the up date! I have changed some of the rivers on there beacuse found some more stuff out!

SO here is how it goes so far

Bitterroot: Have not fished it scence squwala season it fished pretty well then with three cutts over 15 inches it is just now comeing back into shape

Rock creek: Fished it during the salmon fly season and OMG I have never seen a salmon fly if some one wants to catch 19 inch + fish on humming bird sized flies june is your month!

Blackfoot: Have not fished it yet soon though I promise!!

Little Black foot: Is on the agenda for my next trip in a few days going to hit that and flint creek in a two day trip

Lolo crek: Is insaine! Nothing over 13 inches long mostly around 10 but had a 50 fish day from 3-dark!

Swan RIver: Last I read its still pretty full

Flint creek: See The Little B

Big hole, Beaver head, Ruby: As soon as I get a three day weekend its ON!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM

oldpoops is on a distinguished road

Cotton,
We were in the Glacier NP,a couple of years ago and fished the Swan. 4 in the party didn't see a fish.I read some where that Gierach had the same results. Wound up fishing the North Fork Spotted Bear and a terrific high mtn. lake.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

coltonwynn: Sounds like your having a blast learning the rivers in Montana! Thanks for the report.

Larry
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoops View Post
Cotton,
We were in the Glacier NP,a couple of years ago and fished the Swan. 4 in the party didn't see a fish.I read some where that Gierach had the same results. Wound up fishing the North Fork Spotted Bear and a terrific high mtn. lake.
ya the swan is last on my hit list I here it is still suffering from the mining and is taking a ton of abuse from the logging co. up there who knows what will hapen with that river
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM

samuelpitamber is on a distinguished road

i'll be up in hamilton end of july/beginning of august. need a fishing partner? give me a shout. samuelpitamber@gmail.com
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Rock creek photos 45 min of fishing to say the least it ROCKED!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock creek 1.jpg (35.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 2.jpg (29.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 3.jpg (32.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 4.jpg (59.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 5.jpg (52.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 AM

sorry went to rock creek again lol cant justify driving for 3 hours when I have this creek 20 min away lol here are some pics spent 2 and 1/2 days up their and caught a total of 76 fish it was just awesome fishing never put a nymph on the whole time I was catching fish on hoppers and yellow sallies at noon with it beeing 98 degrees!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock creek 6.jpg (50.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 7.jpg (61.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 8.jpg (66.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 9.jpg (97.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Rock creek 10.jpg (65.5 KB, 41 views)