The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question The Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Anyone fish these waters in the past? I'm headed to the Colorado High Country and meeting an old fishing buddy from Olympia, Wa. We are looking at a 5 mile hike to the river and doing 2 day fishing, then hiking it back out. Any input would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Racine
Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Canyon of the Gunnison

racine: Shamu posted about fishing the Gunny back in Jan 09, I sent him some information. You might try to PM him to see if he has fished the Gunny this year, if so he could give you some great tips. I have not fished the Gunny but would like to. I know there are a few outfitters that do guided trips but the cost is pretty high, but the logistics is what drives the cost up. If doing a float trip there is a rancher in the area who will take your gear down to the river using horses for a fee.....that is what the guides use to get the rafts, rowing frames, tents, etc to the river. There also is an outfit that will rent you a raft and take you and your gear up the Gunnison and drop you off, but I can't seem to find the link at the moment....I'll do some more searching.

I found a few internet links you might be interested in reading.
blm Colorado | Gunnison Georg National Conservation Area | River Map

Here is an article on the Gunny.
American Angler, Fly Fishing, Flyfishing, Fly-Fishing, Fly Fishing Magazine, Fly Shops, Trout Fishing - Gunnison Gorgers

Gunnison River Trout, by Bill Fowler

Chukar Trail

Colorado Maps - Gunnison River Fishing Map - The Colorado Directory

I found some of these links doing a google search of the Chukar Trail, that is the shortest route to the river but you probably won't be using that trail. Good luck and be sure to post your fishing trip report and any photos when you get back, we would like to hear about your trip.

Hope that helps.

Larry
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

Racine,
In July of 2007 my two sons and I hiked in on the SOB trail which is on the North rim. The trail name is appropriate for it was heavy with huge boulders and poison ivy. Our trip down took two hrs. There was a nice sand beach to camp on at the rivers edge. The fishing was fantastic and the scenery was it's equal. We never saw another fisherman while down there.
The trip out was a trial for my old bones, but made it in four hrs. The air temp on the rim was about 80 degrees but I think the canyon floor reached maybe 110 degrees and barely cooled off at night. If I were do it again I would prepare myself to carry more water for the trip out. My two boys are 27 and 30, well conditioned and love this lifestyle. Without their support I may still be down at the canyon floor.
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Rusty, thanks for sharing that valid piece of info about the water. We might be accessing the Ute trail which is the longest so water out would be crucial. I'm trying to get into shape now after a brief layoff so I'll be somewhat in better shape for the altitude coming from sealevel.
Larry, Thanks for all the valid info. I'm planning now and I appreciate the references.
Racine
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

Racine,
Here is a video of our trip down the SOB trail to the Black Canyon. My son put this together with cell phone footage. Let this stimulate you for your upcomming trip.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison Video by Bodie - MySpace Video

Rusty
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydeej View Post
Racine,
Here is a video of our trip down the SOB trail to the Black Canyon. My son put this together with cell phone footage. Let this stimulate you for your upcomming trip.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison Video by Bodie - MySpace Video

Rusty
Great video, thank you for sharing. It looked liked you all had a lot of fun.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rusty: Thanks for posting the video! Sure looks like a rugged trail getting down to the water, but sure is a beautiful area.

Larry
Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Wow Rusty, great time. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM

benjohnson is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I have fished below the North Rim visitors center multiple times. You can gain access to the SOB Gully from here which is called SOB for a reason. Once you make it to the bottom you are rewarded with amazing water. Be prepared to fish deep if you have no luck on the surface as the holes are monsters. There is a great place to camp on the shore which is visible from the top as you peer down canyon from the railing.

There is also a great area we've been going down to climb and i swear one of these times ill hang up the climbing shoes to throw the line in because it is spectacular. As you're driving from Gunnison to Montrose on Hwy 50, you will go around a very tight curve, about 5 miles past the Blue Mesa Dam and then enter a small canyon just after it. Park at the first pull off on your right just as you enter the canyon. Blue Creek will be visible below you. Pick up the trail from here which will head down to blue creek. You will be able to fish all the way to the Gunnison River on Blue Creek. I've never seen a fisherman down here and we go climbing every weekend in the summer. it is calm enough to fish now as the spring runoff has already peaked a month ago. This water is slightly warmer than the Gunnison River so I'm assuming you'll run into monster Browns down there.

Please feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Ben
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up The fishing was great!

As a followup, I thought I'd mention that this was a great trip with the only downside being that you can only camp on the river for 2 days max! I've never caught so many browns in my life. It was in the 70's when we hiked down at 0800 am but in the 90's when we hiked out at 3 pm. The hike was 1.5 hrs in and 2.4 hrs back. I would not recommend this to anyone out of shape or with heart disease as it's definitely a stress test. My fishing buddy hauled in some very nice 20+" browns while I broke off more than I'd care to admit. My taste for trout has returned as I tasted some brown trout our companions had for dinner. Expecting the worse, I had some very tasty trout that came very close to salmon in texture, color and flavor. We are doing this trip again but definitely bringing a much lighter tent. Thanks for all the help and suggestions fellas, they were much appreciated.