The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Nix Alaska for now and planning Yellowstone

I've spoken to a few travelers about flyfishing Alaska and the resounding conclusion is that it costs a small fortune ( myself, wife and son). Not to mention that many say I should be planning 1-2 years for this. I've decided to bring the family to Yellowstone for the summer in July. It's closer, more affordable and familiar.
My question now is have any members of the NAFFF had any terrific experiences with Dude Ranches or lodges near or in Yellowstone they would recommend? I'm looking at doing lots of sightseeing, horseback riding, rafting, and not to mention fishing. I'm doing a search now and Flying Pig is an interesting place.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nix Alaska for now and planning Yellowstone

Have fun in Yellowstone, Ill catch a few extra for you this summer
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

I don't personally have any experience with ranches. I know a guy who guides for Madison Vally Ranch in Ennis Montana ( not far from Yellowstone) and he could put intouch with them. Or you could google Madison Valley Ranch and see if this is you cup of tea......Good luck
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 PM

tilden is on a distinguished road

Here is a link from a local fly store who wrote about a trip there. Scroll down about half way to "Two Roads to Heaven" section and he gives some great info on the area and where to stay.

Hope this helps.

Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Hey man, Sup'?

Sorry I didn't reply to your e-mail way back when, I ended up deleting a bunch of stuff and then didn't have your address.
I wasn't trying to ignore you or anything. Hopefully you didn't take it that way.

As far as ranches or lodges go, I really can't recommend anything that would be meaningful as I've never really had any experience with or even really heard any feedback about any of them over the years, which strikes me as odd come to think of it.

I do know that just outside the Park in Montana on the Gallatin is the 320 Ranch, I know they have cabins, horses and fine dining and have been around for ever. I think you were up fishing on the Gallatin in the Park last year IIRC. The 320 would be within about 10 miles from where you were and about 30 miles from West.
It's not a bad location to hit the Park, the Upper Maddy, West Yellowstone area fishing and even the Bozeman area fishing which would be about an hour away.

Inside the Park there is the Roosevelt Lodge which I don't know much about except that it's in the Park , has horses and is somewhat historic to the Park. It's right on the junction of the Tower/Dunraven pass road and the turn off to Cooke City. You would be smack in the middle of the park with about the best location to hit the Lamar and Slough Creek not too mention the Yellowstone.

I've stayed at Old Faithful Inn a few times and highly recommend it. They aren't the nicest rooms but the Inn is great fun to hang out in and have a beer or two after a long days sightseeing and/or fishing. It's pretty laid back at night and you can walk out and see Old Faithful go off in the moonlight.
It wasn't as expensive as I thought it might be but I know it gets booked up fast.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
I may be around and I may not during the time you are thinking of being here. I'd be glad to take your family out for a day if you are into it and I'm around. Maybe hit up the Yellowstone proper outside the Park.
I'm expecting to be in Minn/Wisc for the first two weeks of July.

Nathan
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

So this is my first post here (and a great forum! glad i found it!), but i live in Moran, Wy about 30 miles from the south entrance of yellowstone. I moved out here in June of last year from Mississippi and had never been fly fishing. well, two days and a nice wild cutthroat later, i am now a flyfishing junkie.

I actually am the Chef at a resort, here, but i am not trying to sell you a room! If you are looking for a nice place to stay that does offer float trips, horseback rides, paintball, camping/chuckwagon tours, there are several on this side of the park. Heart Six ranch is one that i know has consistently postive reviews.

Now the fishing. The Buffalo Fork runs through the property at heart six. and the fishing can be really good there. What i love is actually doing some backcountry fishing where i see no footprints unless they are mine or a bear's. Spread Creek is unmatched for the scenery and the completely wild fish. The snake of course is great, but often has lots of pressure. Also pacific creek and soda fork creek offer the same backcountry style i like. I haven't caught any 20+ monsters, but 14-16 inches is pretty average in these bc waters.

I haven't done any of the yellowstone fishing, as there is just too much to explore out where i am.

benji
Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Ah .. Yellowstone was my 'point of choice' for an extended vacation in the motor home this summer. Fiddle, (first word was ***'ed and it wasn't even 'four letters') Did a bit of math and just coming/going (nothing in the middle) will/would cost a minimum of $1,000 (no shxt!) just for Petrol.

North Eastern Oregon is sounding better and better. Lots of water I've fished a bit of (Deschutes), many rivers I've never seen. We're now on 'Plan B.'

fae
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Nix Alaska for now and planning Yellowstone

I sure hope you've at least seen Yellowstone once. It's a crown jewel I want to share with my son before he gets that teenage attitude thing. Don't get me wrong, Oregon is beautiful but Yellowstone is SPECTACULAR! Thanks for some of the tidbits here guys. I'll be using them.
Not to worry Nate. You got priorities like we all do, I figured you just hated the way I fished, that's all ;^) but it's good to hear from you.
DC

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Anyone ever stay in Gardiner, MT? It looks like a sleepy town just outside YNP and much more affordable than 7 days with a big dude outfit. I'm considering doing this and flying into Bozeman then driving down.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
Anyone ever stay in Gardiner, MT? It looks like a sleepy town just outside YNP and much more affordable than 7 days with a big dude outfit. I'm considering doing this and flying into Bozeman then driving down.
I would actually recommend it since you've already seen what
West has to offer. The north entrance to the park, while heavily traveled, isn't as in your face touristy like West. But that does mean less kid oriented stuff like the Imax, the grizzly thing and tons of stores filled with plastic **** for sale.
It sits right on the Yellowstone and the fishing is as good as anywhere right in town. You can hike trails that start in town and head up stream as I mentioned in the PM.
You are about an hour from the Lamar and Slough. Maybe five minutes from the Gardiner river. About 1 1/2 hours from Old Faithful, maybe an hour to Canyon and another half an hour from there to the lake.

You also have the Montana side of things within reach. Chico Hotsprings is
about 35 minutes away and Livingston is about an hour. Chico is a good place for a nice dinner and a soak if you are into that sort of thing. The bar there is lot of fun and has music every Fri-Sat night. I've played quite a few gigs there.
You can also hit the Beartooth pass and Red Lodge. It's a spectacular drive up to just under 11,000 feet. It's the northern rockies so even though it's not nearly as high as Colorado the terrain will seem every bit as high.

Give me a call if you want to know more.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

Fishing in AK is only crazy expensive if you want a guide, a float plane, an all inclusive lodge and all that fancy stuff. If you are willing to explore, sleep in small places or a tent, and willing to experience the back roads of AK then it can be done cheap. I have fished up there for years and never had to pay a fortune. Granted I have never caught 30+in rainbows in magestic waters, or fished bristol bay for salmon. But I have caught silvers, reds, greyling, and lots of other really fun fish without having to spend 3 years of savings to do it! You just have to ask around and you can get hot spots and times of year to go if you really wanna go there!

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com