The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Saltwater Articles

Saltwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bonefish, redfish, tarpon, permit and other saltwater species.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM

waycool has a spectacular aura aboutwaycool has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DIY Bonefishing Belize

Ok.. You convinced me. I wanna GO !

When is the best time of year to plan a DIY trip to Belize ? I might even have a friend that has a house there... I guided a bear hunter one time that has a place.. might have to look him UP !

I have never fished for bonefish.. is it even feasible to do without any experience ? I would entertain any advice.. Oh boy.. this is on my mind now.... Hmm... would make for one heck of a vacation !

What method of transportation is there ? I mean to get from flat to flat.. or ???

Dang you people ! Now I'm ruined!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycool View Post
Ok.. You convinced me. I wanna GO !

When is the best time of year to plan a DIY trip to Belize ? I might even have a friend that has a house there... I guided a bear hunter one time that has a place.. might have to look him UP !

I have never fished for bonefish.. is it even feasible to do without any experience ? I would entertain any advice.. Oh boy.. this is on my mind now.... Hmm... would make for one heck of a vacation !

What method of transportation is there ? I mean to get from flat to flat.. or ???

Dang you people ! Now I'm ruined!
It looks like a buddy and I will be doing a DIY trip to Ambergris Caye in late Sept. of this year. There is a ton of information on the net that will help you get organized.

As far as experience or lack thereof, sure you can do it. It is my understanding that the patterns for this part of the world are smaller and lighter. Mudding bones are the easiest to catch imo. Tailing fish come second followed by cruising fish. I'm bringing a 9wt to deal with the wind along with a 6wt if conditions are favorable. I'm also bringing a spinning rod just in case

There is one fly shop in San Pedro on AC. Tres Pescados I believe they are called. (Belize Fly Fishing - Guides - Flies - Gear) They also have a guide service. Worst case scenario, hire a guide for one day. Ask him a zillion questions, take notes, tip him well then go DIY for the rest of the trip.

As far as getting from flat to flat goes. Golf cart rental for cruising the island. Kayak rental for fishing the west side as I believe the flats are surrounded by mangroves making walking access more difficult.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM

I was afraid you would say that Joe ! NOW! I am REALLY ruined ! I Gotta do it... I think I might just do the guide for a day.. and then just sip margaritas and DIY.. Hmm.. Hmm Hmm....

It's official.

So.. I'm thinking next year this will happen.. if anyone wants to meet there or ...??? Please hit me up.. cause I got no one to go with.. but I'M GOING! The ocean scares the **** out of me.. but hey.. sometimes you gotta overcome !

Golf cart rental OMG ! Should I bring my sticks too ??? OH heck no.. FISHING ! Not sure on the Kayak thing.... see above (ocean fear).

Planning starts......
Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

You guys have fun.

Word of caution. The word "Joe" has a derogatory meaning in Belize.
Among Creole-speaking and Garifuna folks, it refers to a man who is having sex with a friend's wife. As in, "He a Joe."

jgentile and waycool like this.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

I swear! It wasn't me!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
I swear! It wasn't me!!!
LOL Sure.... we believe you... JOE !

Looking forward to a report on the trip ! I assume most would fly into Belize City ? What are the option to get to say AC from there?

This is gonna get interesting !
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

3 options to get to the island, tropic air, (my favorite), maya air, or the water taxi from the muni. docks (requires a taxi ride to the docks)

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks Dave!

Ive been reading a couple sites on San Pedro etc... I'll find them and if you don't mind give me your thoughts. This looks very doable and could become A habit! Lol
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Well, I'm in. Heading to San Pedro this Nov with my brother in law. Hired a guide from the Tres Pecados Fly Shop and then will DIY the rest of the time. Just taking the 8wts so wish us luck. I can't wait for this trip. Now in search for a decent tropical fly line.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

nice, I am looking forward to my next trip. leave in about 25 days....good luck!

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields