The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Saltwater Articles

Saltwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bonefish, redfish, tarpon, permit and other saltwater species.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8wt vs 9wt for inshore species

It's the line that throws the fly and the rod is just the tool that makes that happen.

You want to throw big hairy flies, you need a heavy line cast with an open loop
Even with my 10wt rod, I'll use a 12wt line as it loads the rod deeper, utilizing more of the rod's power.

My rods aren't fancy. Pac-Bay, Batson, StCroix. The 10' rod that use in the surf actually came from Sportsman's Guide

They take a lot of abuse, but they get the job done.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

I like the 10 wt. I have, it's old and heavy (so am I) but it isn't really stiff so it's comfortable to cast for me and I can reach out no problem. I'm probably better off with it too, when I nail it with weighted clouser I won't cut it in half ! picked it up cheap too !
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
My stickman T8 is designed/cast like you described a fast tip flats rod. My other choices are a Trident TL Mid flex #9 and an original Horizon #10. I'm trying to optimize what I have and determine what goes where. I only have an old Orvis 10 wt. line to test them out , except for the Stickman which I have a Rio Bonefish and it cast great , just not sure about casting clousers with it all day long ? I don't think that is what Akos had in mind in the design. Sounds right for the Albies thou ?
I think you are all set though my impression of you, like me, is some additional rod will tempt you.

If I am fishing the spring time flats of the East End of LI, I'm fishing small flies with an 8-weight like your Stickman, essentially one of my bonefish rods which I love equal to my dry fly trout rods. Here my friends are so fishing while I traipse around in the tick infested grass taking pictures.
Click the image to open in full size.
Or a bit further East

Now if I am fishing from jetties or into groin pockets as in this case on the Jersey Shore, I'll fish my deeper flexing Orvis T TL tip-flex #9 or in this image, my old indistructo Diamondback #9, a little like your T&T. I also have an older St.Croix Ultra #9 that can take a beating and only throws open loops.

Now when the Autumn Blitz gets moving I personally still like a 9-weight but now want one with higher lines speed, tighter loops and plenty of low end grunt adroit at one false cast, accurate and sometimes long presentations...albies are notoriously up-and-down and your first shot is you best or only shot. I like my new Douglas SKY for this situation a lot. A #9 is just fine but hold on tight.

As the season lengthens and the weather chills, big fish eat big flies in the heavy rips of the famous Montauk Light. Now it is time for a big gun to toss herring flies and good bass like this one can be hard to lift from the seething currents...I've seen some lighter rods snap under the load. My buddy is fishing a Scott S4s#10 with a big old Islander reel and a big old grin.
brownbass and eastfly66 like this.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:44 PM

jgraham is on a distinguished road

An 8 weight will thrown ANY bonefish fly just fine. I haven't came across anything my 8 weight Meridian cannot handle on a bonefish flat. That said, it's all about having the RIGHT ROD! An 8 weight high end Scott, Sage, Orvis etc. will have similar power of a cheaper 10 weight, both in line speed AND fighting strength.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I think you are all set though my impression of you, like me, is some additional rod will tempt you.

If I am fishing the spring time flats of the East End of LI, I'm fishing small flies with an 8-weight like your Stickman, essentially one of my bonefish rods which I love equal to my dry fly trout rods. Here my friends are so fishing while I traipse around in the tick infested grass taking pictures.
Or a bit further East

Now if I am fishing from jetties or into groin pockets as in this case on the Jersey Shore, I'll fish my deeper flexing Orvis T TL tip-flex #9 or in this image, my old indistructo Diamondback #9, a little like your T&T. I also have an older St.Croix Ultra #9 that can take a beating and only throws open loops.

Now when the Autumn Blitz gets moving I personally still like a 9-weight but now want one with higher lines speed, tighter loops and plenty of low end grunt adroit at one false cast, accurate and sometimes long presentations...albies are notoriously up-and-down and your first shot is you best or only shot. I like my new Douglas SKY for this situation a lot. A #9 is just fine but hold on tight.

As the season lengthens and the weather chills, big fish eat big flies in the heavy rips of the famous Montauk Light. Now it is time for a big gun to toss herring flies and good bass like this one can be hard to lift from the seething currents...I've seen some lighter rods snap under the load. My buddy is fishing a Scott S4s#10 with a big old Islander reel and a big old grin.
Thanks for the help and the pictures are great ! As you know my experience on salt is very limited, schoolies from a buddies boat mostly around Joppa but I have the opportunity to venture out around the Cape area this coming season. I'm really looking forward to the Albies and my friend that I will be fishing with is giving me some tips .....little different than trout

I've never landed a keeper striped bass either , the ones you and rip Tide posted pictures of would eat the ones I have caught !
Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 PM

clogrennane is on a distinguished road

If you can find a Scott S4s 9wt second hand you will have a great crossover 8/9 at rod that casts beautifully and bring a smile to your face. I use it on the flats when the wind blows up with Woulfe 9 wt line and it will also cast both 8 and 10 wt line when required. I'll never sell this rod!!
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I have a succession of Scott 8-weights from unique Heliply 8'8"/#8 to STS to S4s. I too am a fan of S4s which I fish with an Airflo non-stretch Tropical Bonefish line. It fulfills for me what my old Heliply did, adequate power, toughness and splendid feel particularly with smaller flies in skinny water. Sometimes I'll fish a #7 in such conditions but I just dig 8-weights bonefishing and may sometimes have three rigged simultaneously on the skiff. The S4s for lightly weighted shrimp flies, a Hardy Proaxis with a Cortland Liquid Crystal Blue for a stiff wind and brilliant NRX with a RIO Permit as the dominant first-to-reach-for rod. Add Sage SALT#9 for bigger, heavier crab flies and I am optimally geared for anything a Bahamian flat can reveal to me. I wish I was there right now.

Scott S4s caught a good bonefish
brownbass likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 PM

fshng2 is on a distinguished road

I have an 8wt and cast it all day inshore with no problem.
For freshwater trout and bass I mostly use a 6wt.
Last year I bought a 10 wt and used it several times,
It does tire my arm after a few hours though.

Last edited by fshng2; 03-12-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

If I was stranded on a tropical island and had to catch all my own food with a one fly rod, it'd be an 8wt rod.

YMMV.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:26 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

To me the 9 seems to be too much rod most of the time, then quickly becomes too little rod when species, fly size and weather pick up.