The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Saltwater Articles

Saltwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bonefish, redfish, tarpon, permit and other saltwater species.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8wt vs 9wt for inshore species

Having just returned from south Florida where I fished #'s 7 - 11 (blind casting for tarpon with nothing to show for it), my go to bonefishing rod was Sage SALT#9. My flies where dominantly size 2's with big bead chain or small dumb bell weighted eyes but the issue was wind from 12 to 20 knots. I mostly fish and also recommend an 8-weight for hunting bonefish but the rod must match the conditions and sharp reflexed, abundant butt power, high line speed SALT#9 was just right.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 AM

camelbrass will become famous soon enough

I fish 99% of the time in the salt. Locally, a mixture of inshore and bluewater but when traveling like to take myself off to fish the flats.

It's horses for courses but my 'go to' for both inshore and light flats fishing is a 9 wt, largely because you're having to battle coastal weather at least 80% of the time and fish breaking the surface upwind can be a oneshot chance. On the flats the bonefish aren't too spooky where I fish so leader size is not such a big issue. I also like the Salt 9, think they got that rod just about right. The balance between weight and power seems to be optimal, for what I do at least.

I've just gone over to T and T Exocetts for my saltwater work but have kept that Salt 9.

Regards,

Trevor
Old 05-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Tailwalk7 is on a distinguished road

Very helpful thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk