The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Saltwater Articles

Saltwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bonefish, redfish, tarpon, permit and other saltwater species.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 04:21 PM

jdavid71 is on a distinguished road
Default 8wt vs 9wt for inshore species

Im really starting to get into this sport and want to start fly fishing in saltwater. Whats a good rod weight for saltwater use. Im mostly targeting reds, snook, maybe some permit, baby tarpon, bonefish, and speckled trout. What is a good rod weight for these species, i guess kind of an all around setup is what im looking for.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 8wt vs 9wt for inshore species

IMO, both can be good all around, and neither will necessarily be better than the other. I have both weights & a 10 wt. All 3 have a time & place depending on situations & conditions. Generally, the bigger the flies, bigger the fish & the worse the wind conditions the heavier I'll go. Most of the time any of the 3 could be my rod of choice, and it doesn't matter which I might choose, they'll all serve the purpose. Beyond that, it becomes a matter of which I may want to use on a given day.

I would have to check which weighs more, but I don't get too concerned about the actual weight of each, however that may be a consideration for some folks. Again, speaking generally a lighter outfit, that is properly balanced might be more comfortable to use all day. That's not what I consider when I choose to go fishing, but everyone is different.

Also, between those two weights, depending on the exact model rods, either will likely throw either weight line, as most rods will cast lines that may be heavier or lighter than what the rod manufacturer specifies.

If possible, your best bet is to cast different rods in those weights & determine which best suits you & your style of casting. The choice may simply boil down to which one you like to cast the best.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Hmm, which rod to use for which, That is the question!
The problem is that most rods are rated for the line they will cast and not for the fish they will fight.

I've seen 7 wts. with more fight fighting backbone than some 9 wts.
I've seen 9 wts that cast better with sevens. It 's a jungle out there!

Jack
Old 12-28-2014, 12:05 PM

captainkraken is on a distinguished road

I use an 8wt for inshore... Reds, trout, pompano, flounder, small jacks, bonitas, blues, and bull reds in open water with a boat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM

oldskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rough

It depends on what you are using for tippet. If you tend to fish the lighter stuff like 12 pound then go 8wt. If you are going to use 16, or 20 then go with the 9wt. I'm saying whatever is the lightest leader you plan on fishing then if you go too light for your rod weight then you won't have enought tippet protection and will just end up breaking off fish.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

As all have said, one rod won't do it all and this is true. But I would start with the 9-weight because it can do the light and medium lifting required for the fish you refer to. Fall in love with fly fishing the salt and you'll wind up with #7, 8 and 10 in short order.