The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road
Default Rosarita Mexico

I read an article in the 2006 Saltwater flyfishing magazine about fishing in Rosarita, Mexico during fall and winter months. I finally made plans to go and now the area is having problems with a drug war that has caused several big events to be cancelled and pushed back to later dates. Has anyone been there lately and is it a huge problem going there.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Rosarita Mexico

Hi jr1964,

You need to read the State Departments travel warnings for Mexico. The wife of one of our members has advised that her husband went missing on a fishing trip to Mexico. It is not a place that I would want to visit considering the crime, kidnappings and murders that are reported in Mexico.

Frank
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks I was all set to go, the travel agency said they would give me a credit if I cancel more than a week before the trip, this is crazy you can't even go fishing in peace.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

if that's you in your avatar photo, i can understand why you would be kidnapped.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

easy eza
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew people who travel to Mexico, but mostly to Paracho (pop. 10,000;
1,000 making guitars!).

You could always find some sweet fishing in the Caribbean, etc.....
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 PM

She's a dancer I meet in Atlanta she managed to get most of my money and a marriage proposal, I'm still waiting on the answer to the marriage proposal.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

the dept of defense is rounding up "volunteers" from the guard and reserve with combat experience in certain job specialties for counter-narcotics augmentation operations along the us-mexican border. there should be an annoucement from the obama administration soon in which they do a 180 on the "we're not going to militarize the border" position. the mexican military has begun to withdraw from the border regions and the violence and chaos immediately resumed...only this time, a LOT more americans are dying...especially kids since it is summer.

the early withdrawl of the mexican army is seen as capitulation to or appeasement of the narco cartels...which is nothing new. the notion that the gov't in mx city was going to stand up to them was what was new. but now they have been emboldened and the territorial warfare, intimidation and extortion of local officials and populations, etc. has expanded into places that were relatively safe before. so the predictability factor has been obliterated. i don't think anyone can say location a is "safe" and location b is "dangerous" now. it's a "brave new world" down there! think mad max!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist