The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default A couple pics.

Well, I might as well put up a salt water pic, and a very short salt water video of my first couple fish of 2011. My buddy showed up my shop on Monday saying it was criminal that I hadn't bent a rod yet. So we went out that afternoon and drifted ballyhoo for a little while trying to raise a sail with no luck, but he marked some fish he figured were kings, and another buddy of his wanted one for the smoker.

We couldn't lift the kings without chunk chum, pretty hard even with it, so had to go down to them. It was more like bottom fishing with an 8wt. than fly fishing, but at least January didn't go by without bending a rod.Click the image to open in full size.

Then two days later, we got a calm day after a wind shift from the NW to the East and he came over and got me again. We went out as soon as I went home to get out of my oily clothes. Thankfully, my shop's less than 3/4 mile from the house.

Here's about a minute long video below. Just click on it. It's 6 MB. Double clicking makes the screen bigger on my computer.

Click the image to open in full size.

I figured some of you guys must be tired of looking at fish pics with snow in the background.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: A couple pics.

That is some good stuff to see on a cold, cloudy Sunday morning!
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Very nice! Just out of curiosity, what is attached to you hat in the pic? At first glance I thought they were the tops of beer cans!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Ant,

They are hat lights. I leave them on my fishing hat all the time now so I don't either misplace, lose or forget them. They are pretty much indispensible when coming in after dark - as we did that night - even if only to clip the Q beam to the battery so we can see the sticks marking the "wheel ditches" or coral heads to navigate back home. And for stowing gear, finding gear etc., I wouldn't be without them.

Those ones rotate, so I can keep them off to the side behind my peripheral vision and still aim them toward the front.

The water and weather was warm enough for me to wade for bones today, so I went out just before dark, but didn't see a tail

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I keep a hat light in my vest, but I've never seen any that looked like that. Pretty neat.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Jim,

Did you keep the fish, it looks like sea food from here

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 AM

Ard,

Yes, that was a prerequested fish from a friend that likes to smoke them. I don't like to eat kingfish, and don't fish for them because they don't fight on the surface and are only rarely at the top of the water column. They are pretty good screamers (as you can probably imagine looking at that one) on an 8 wt but most of the fight is down.

I like snappers, dolphin, wahoo and tuna (blackfin) for eating - all of which but wahoo can be caught on the fly once found and/or chummed in the case of snapper and sometimes tuna.

Sails are teased up either with trolled dead bait or spreader bars without hooks, or with live bait without hooks. Then at the right time (hopefully) the teaser is yanked (hopefully) when the fly is in the air to the right spot (of course). The tease and the cast/casts is a real adrenaline rush - bigger than any other I've expeienced fishing.

I going to try to video the whole thing with the sails next time I go out for them on a calm day. I made a helmet cam for my sony handycam, but had it protected from spray when that one was teased up and missed the chance. It needs some modifications in any event.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Ant,

I put a picture of that brand up on another thread, but I see that there are two different brand names on two identical lights. One is a Nebo the other a Quarrow.

I grabbed a frame off the video of the sail for guys who don't have a high speed connection. For those of you that watched the short video, you may have detected some exasperation in my voice at the end.

I don't like taking fish from the water that I'm not gonna keep, but my buddy wanted a frame from the video for his portfolio, yet he wasn't ready when I yanked the fish. There is no excuse for having even a big fish out of the water for more than 4 or 5 seconds, and I should have made absolutely certain he was ready.

It only takes a few seconds for sails to start bronzing up. So I was as much pissed at myself as him. But the fish was in good shape when released and dove for the bottom after dragging him along for a couple of minutes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Cool pics Jim. I will trade you anytime the Fins and Snaps for some Who or Tuna. Gotta be the best eating S/W fish around. That and gotta love some Blackbass and some Convicts.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Seajay,

I steak up wahoo, de-bone and cut out the bloodlines then put the four sections back together with a strip of bacon and toothpicks holding them together. Grill them hot and short, a little lemon and salt - oh la la!

Better than filet mignon done the same way.

Cheers,
Jim