The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Light Saltwater setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospots View Post
I agree.
I just got back from Folly Beach and I can tell you first hand, casting into the wind is a serious pain! There is almost always some sort of wind coming off the ocean whereever you go...
I had an 8 wt and could cast fine from my kayak up in an inlet to the Stono, but keeping the kayak away from the bank is a different issue...
Surf casting was a super pain! I destroyed a clouser that I had not superglued the bucktail on just casting it...

I met a guy from Wisconsin there who was using a spey rod for surf casting and it worked well, but distance was not an option. 25 yards was about all he could do, and that's not too bad in the surf as long as the fly gets down there fast, but those waves bring the line back in real fast. Lots of casting.
Even for flats with no surf, the wind will prohibit you from casting a 7 wt a lot of times. Even an 8 can be an issue.
Worry about the wind and the flies, not the fish... My opinion is to downsize rods on a trout stream and oversize in salt.
Folly Beach!!???? For a period of about 6 years, I used to vacation there every year as my sister-in-law lived there. Went to the College of Charleston. Loved that place...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Peregrines is absoultely right, once again.

I think the difference is in what's considered a "Light Saltwater" set-up and how much that varies around the country. On the TX coast, a 6wt is a reasonable light rig that works just fine in the bays on calm days. If you're on a boat over a reef in the Bahamas, a 10wt is light.

I enjoy fly fishing in the surf as much as anybody, (well, maybe not RipTide) but sooner than cast a 10wt all day to deal with the wind, I'm more likely gonna throw plugs with an 8' rod and a Spinfisher.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

I enjoy fly fishing in the surf as much as anybody, (well, maybe not RipTide) but sooner than cast a 10wt all day to deal with the wind, I'm more likely gonna throw plugs with an 8' rod and a Spinfisher.
Hey....I'm a light rod kind-o-guy.
8wts are the rule for me, not the exception... I may carry an 11wt line on it though
Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Axel:

Assuming wind on the water fish won't recognize a 7,8,9,10 plop on the water. A 10 will cast small but a 7 won't cast large. Just vary the break tippet. Look for good used or demos to save money. My favorite is Sage RPLX and if you don't travel a two piece RPLX is cheap and a close second would be Winston XTR three piece or five five piece...IMHO an 8 or 10 for your first salt and which depends on what deal you find for either.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

So, based on the opinions and experience of those here, I let the 7wt go.

It was a Orvis ZG Helios 9ft. 7wt, 4pc. My max bid was $250. I was winning it until yesterday. It was new, unused, still in tube.

I will look around for a good deal on a 9wt. I think, from what I read here, that a 9wt is a good all around SW rod, without tangling with large fish.

Thanx, guys. You're the best.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Well, you could use the 7 wt for other things... LOL.... But if you want a good saltwater deal.... might pass.
We been to Folly the past two years. Nice place.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospots View Post
Well, you could use the 7 wt for other things... LOL.... But if you want a good saltwater deal.... might pass.
We been to Folly the past two years. Nice place.
I've always said that I'd probably live there if there was job I could get. Unless you work in tourism, for the state/local government or the Navy, you're gonna end up either dealing drugs or selling sugar cane baskets next to the road.

We used to go to the beach and stay under the big pier (sp?). I miss that place.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Just ran across a 9'6" 7wt 4pc St. Croix Legend Ultra, about 3-4 years old for $125+ 10.00 shipping.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

check on Fly Shop Closeouts which usually has some pretty good buys on new rods.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM

emarf is on a distinguished road

How large of a fly can you cast on a 7wt rod thanks