The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Default line and leader?

what is your reco for line and leader for redfish flats fishing gulf coast?

8 wt rod.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: line and leader?

The Mastery Redfish or the Rio work great. You need a warmwater line rather than cold or tropics but if you need to choose for the gulf go towards the tropic side rather than cold. Go with an 8 weight, line and good tapered leader.

The first part of the leader or part of the butt section, should be of the approximate flex of the fly line, not hard nor soft necessarily and be about 60-70% or your fly line tips diameter. I nail knot a foot or so of mono using a nail knot onto the line to do this and use Maxima that has a diameter of about .30 in. My eight weight line’s tip, mikes out to about .40 inches and I use a foot or so of .030-inch leader material as a “permanent” connection. This is nail-knotted to the fly line and then coated with Knot Sense. I tie a perfection end loop in this butt section and then use a loop-to-loop attachment to attach this butt section to the remainder of the butt section of my leader.

As a standard I like nine feet long leaders tapered to 12 lb test. I do use the 60/20/20 percentages for tapering in that 60 percent is butt, 20 percent where most tapering takes place and then 20 % for tippet.

My specific Redfish formula: Nine feet long tapered to 12 lb test.

Starting with an additional 2’ butt section of .30 mono (about 45 lb test) with another Perfection Loop tied in one end of it, I tie it to 2 feet of 40 lb with a blood knot, followed by 1' of 30 lb mono, 1' of 20# mono, and then finishing off with 2feet of 12 lb flouro. I also finish all my blood knots off with a little RIO UV knot sealer or Knot Sense.

When fishing a weedy area I prefer the commercially tapered leaders as knots can snag weeds. For ultra clear, calm water, go to a 12 ft leader and drop to a 7 ft leader when fishing low vis waters.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/