The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unexpected fishing buddy

The Sage Flight 8wt combo I bought 3 weeks ago has been taunting me, all clean and shiny on my rod rack, I had to get it wet yesterday. The combo was ok, cast pretty well but hasn't lived up to its $500 price tag yet. I'l decide once it lands a fish. No fish, no bait, no birds but I did have an unxpected fishing buddy. I seal came up with my Clouser on its nose! Luckily it was more interested in playing than eating and it didn't decide to take a bite.
It won't be long now...Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected fishing buddy

That was pretty cool having a seal follow your clouser!

Larry

Larry
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
That was pretty cool having a seal follow your clouser!

Larry
It was, she did scare me a bit though. I'm just glad she didn't decide to take a bite.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Where we fish on the Cape, seals are an every day occurrence.
This past season I watched a 600 pound bull chase a landed fish up out of the surf, onto the beach while my fishing partner ran backwards screaming like a girl

This picture is of a location known to local fly fishermen as "Big Girl Bar". It use to be a likely spot to find a nice cow bass. Not so much anymore.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM

We don't have many at all in NY Harbor. There's a small population on a tiny island between Staten Island and Brooklyn but they don't normally come that far back into the harbor. I guess the fishing has been scarse this winter.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The seals spread out in the winter, looking for food and warmer water, but for most of the year the Chatham Mass colony is an estimated 10,000 and growing.
That many seals attracts predictors. At least 18 great whites at one point last August.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Rip Tide;211528]The seals spread out in the winter, looking for food and warmer water, but for most of the year the Chatham Mass colony is an estimated 10,000 and growing.
That many seals attracts predictors. At least 18 great whites at one point last August.

Have you tied a "seal pup" fly yet???
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Bass fishing in the Raritan bay (Not too far for NY) I see seals early in the season. Usually when they show up the bass disappear. I was on a beach with a whole bunch of old-timer bait fisherman one year and these guys, im guessing half drunk, got all angry when the seals showed up. they put on their heaviest sinkers and where waiting till one came into distance... I didnt see them come in close enough but these dude were ready to make them pay for their fishless evening.... haha I like seeing them but i do generally move on to the next spot. You see them now and then surfing in the winter as well... "Baby seal pattern" that's my kind of idea!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by only adipose View Post
Bass fishing in the Raritan bay (Not too far for NY) I see seals early in the season. Usually when they show up the bass disappear. I was on a beach with a whole bunch of old-timer bait fisherman one year and these guys, im guessing half drunk, got all angry when the seals showed up. they put on their heaviest sinkers and where waiting till one came into distance... I didnt see them come in close enough but these dude were ready to make them pay for their fishless evening.... haha I like seeing them but i do generally move on to the next spot. You see them now and then surfing in the winter as well... "Baby seal pattern" that's my kind of idea!!!!!!
Same waters, probably the same seals. They actually have a small colony on Randall's Island (The small Island between Staten Island and Brooklyn) but they don't usually swim around Crooke's point and into the Marina. This little guy must have been pretty bored...
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Great shots. Man, I think I would have dirtied my knickers.