The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough
Question Need Advice: Teaser Method for Blue Water Game

Just came back from very tough offshore boat game against mahi mahi and skipjack tuna in which we barely made the catch. Sharks, temperature, bait, other boats; you could blame on anything; but I suspect teasing could be somewhat improved to recover from the condition like this.

When I take teasing role, I get on the bow deck with lure tackle responsible for research cast and teasing the leader fish closer to the party boat for fly fishers. I use popper first, if that doesn't trigger, I use ripless minnow lure which fish just couldn't say no, if that doesn't match the size of bait, then I use small jig-minnow with fast retrieve on the surface like you do in surf casting jig for bluefish.

But I saw in a bad day like this a series of non-chase by small bands or schools of fish eaters, as if they were spooked by too much action. I tried tying surf candy on the back of minnow and confirmed that some fish chase delicate object over lure. Unfortunately, they still see the big lure in front of it, so that their chase mostly ended in the middle.

I remember using squidy soft lure with mullet hooked as rig for trolling game, so wonder if there is a teaser desgined to be cast on spinning tackle or any other teasing method that can better attract fish without spooking them.

I beg for your opinion and advice.

Anything other than "human live bait" would be great!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Advice: Teaser Method for Blue Water Game

Sometimes actually hooking a fish will bring other fish closer to the boat, especially mahi, as other fish often follow the hooked fish to the boat.

I've also used hookless top water plugs to tease inshore fish and it can be very exciting, but I've never done it for blue water fish.

Not sure what others use for mahi and tuna as far as teasing, but trolling jet heads like green machines, tuna feathers and cedar plugs is also effective as far as catching.

If fish are on really small bait, one VERY effective way to catch them is to rig up a small teaser in front of the plug or tin- it could be a surf candy, or just bucktail or feathers on a hook. I usually tie a section of heavy monofilament to a barrel swivel with an improved clinch knot, leaving a long tag end of 12" or so, and a length of 36" or so to a snap swivel. The plug or tin goes on the snap swivel and provides the weight for casting.

A small fly like a surf candy, or just bucktail or a few feathers, or a plastic like a red gill sand eel is tied to the tag end coming off the barrel swivel. I usually tie the teaser fly so it's about 4" off the barrel swivel. Because it's on heavy mono and comes off the barrel swivel at about 90 degrees, it keeps the small teaser fly from fouling. In the water it looks like the plug or tin is chasing a small baitfish, and really seems to induce strikes- perhaps because it stirs competitive instincts in fish that want to eat whatever is being "chased" by the plug. I suspect it also looks more natural than rigging it the other way around with a small teaser "chasing" a larger plug if it's tied behind it. I use this set up surfcasting plugs and tins very often when I'm not fly fishing. I catch a lot of fish on the teaser, and it is especially effective on fish like false albacore when they're on small bay anchovies about 2-3" long and not interested in larger lures.

Trolling tuna feathers on heavy trolling rods with the intention of hooking fish and bringing them in quickly on heavy gear to within fly casting range, and then leaving them in the water to bring in their friends might be a very deadly way to go too, with the advantage of being able to cover a lot of water to find fish.

Good luck-

Mark
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I go Dorado (Mahi) fishing down near Loreto, Mexico, I bring a spin rod with me. I will troll a tuna feater like Mark just listed. Also I'll cast out a live sardina. When I get the fish close to the boat, I hand the rod to the boat captain. As Mark mentioned a hooked up Dorado will bring more fish to the boat. That's when I start casting the fly line.

Was your boat captain throwing out bait to tease the fish?

MP
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Master Peregirnes,

Thank you very much again for kindly giving insightful instructions all the time!
I'll send separate note about something you may like from Japan. No chum, I promise

So, it's best to set 2 tackles to try the lure, teaser, and rig of suggestion:

1) Casting Lure/Rig -> on sight
2) Trolling Teaser -> on the back of boat

I think I saw old Penn star drag reel in my uncle's summer house. I'll dig it up, and in the meantime, I'll try your rig.

Do you have special name for the rig?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Whenever I go Dorado (Mahi) fishing down near Loreto, Mexico, I bring a spin rod with me. I will troll a tuna feater like Mark just listed. Also I'll cast out a live sardina. When I get the fish close to the boat, I hand the rod to the boat captain. As Mark mentioned a hooked up Dorado will bring more fish to the boat. That's when I start casting the fly line.

Was your boat captain throwing out bait to tease the fish?

MP
Blue water game near Tokyo is for tunas, mahis, and yellowtails.
Most of charter/party boats are ordinary commercial fishing boat for tunas.
http://www.pref.kochi.lg.jp/~kaiyou/parts/katsuo1.jpg

Some boats go out with a captain and a deck hand, and some smaller vessel sails out with only captain in which case we just DIY. Boats are designed for traditional tuna fishing and equipped with live well for baitfish and shower system to attract fish. Captain, deckhand, and passengers all go crazy casting from live fish to artificial fly.

When the boat and trip is rather tuned for tunas only, then... the deck will be a battlefield full of mess. Passengers will turn into fishermen.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM

I further researched within trolling community and found various interesting goodies and methodologies.

Method:

- Water temperature and water color (scaled by Forel-Ule) are essential clue for when and where predator feeds. Like tunas don't feed below scale 5 when yellowtails feed in 5.5 and above.
- Cruising predator are attracted by the sign of school of baitfish swimming in surface such as disturbance in ultra violet coming from surface and sonic context generated by swimming baits.

Goodies:

- Dredge: Umbrella rig that recreates school of baitfish in formation
Click the image to open in full size.

- Bird: 2 fins or 4 fins to place the teaser in designated depth

Has anyone ever tried dredge?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

For teasing up mahi we just troll for them and try to catch only one. When I go with one buddy, we run a planer with 50 feet of leader behind it with a balyhoo on the end, not far behind the boat. It will run down 25' or so. Then we run two other rods with feathers and wait for the bite. We can usually get the two other rigs in without fish, and forget the hookup till that's done.

We just leave the one fish on, getting him in closer to the boat. The guy/guys with the fly rod/rods stand ready; the other guy grabs live pilchards from the well and bounces them off the gunwales into the water, and chucks a few others around here and there.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 AM

Hi wjc,

Is "planar" the same thing as bird which we call it in Japan "plane"?
-> http://be-friends.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=59384&csid=10
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Neversink,

Here's the thing I was talking about.

http://www.anglerscenter.com/acc_planers.htm

The weight "cocks" the planer so it dives. You need a stout rod and reel to handle one. When a fish hits, his weight "uncocks" the planer and it straightens out so it is no longer angled down and it can be reeled in much easier. They are great for blue water because the sunlight reflects off them and they can be seen for a real long distance, as well as getting a ballyhoo or whatever down deeper.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 07-30-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Great gear with such good idea!
It's not expensive either.

I'll get one and keep it in arsenal for autumn blue/yellow-fin tuna game!