The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default problems with wind

how do yall deal with the wind when trying to cast? i went out this morning and the wind was just killing me. i couldn't cast worth a darn and double hauling didn't help. it was especially bad when the wind was coming from directly behind me. it affected me the least when coming from my left (i cast right handed). is it just all about positioning?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Fly Fishing Crazy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: problems with wind

What kind of rod action are you using and what is your fly fishing experience level? Windy conditions cause everyone fits, but if you consider yourself an experienced caster, the best possible solution is relatively easy. 1) You need to keep your line loop tight and 2) you need a stiff rod. So a very-fast action is needed, albeit not perfect. Wind will cause problems with any level of experience and any rod action, but a very-fast or ultra-fast will have much more power into a wind and a much tighter loop. Problems with faster action rods are, less forgiving to inexperienced casters and less forgiving with light tippets and bigger fish.
The question really comes down to how often you fish in windy conditions. If the answer is frequently, think of getting a faster action rod. If the answer is rarely, then keep what you have and just suck it up on the windy days.

Tight Lines-------<*))))><
Larry Snyder
We Offer Fly Rods, Blanks, Bamboo Fly Rods, and Reels
Fly Fishing Crazy's Blog
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Two winters ago, I spent a lot of time in the backyard casting into the wind.
I discovered that I could use the wind in my face to more greatly load the
rod on the back cast, and that in turn helped propel the line during the forward cast. Casting sidearm is pretty much my standard cast, but that
helps as well. Heavier line casts more easily into the wind, and going one
line weight heavier may help as well. I use SA GPX line for all my graphite
rods, and wind is rarely a problem (with freshwater fishing). Most of my
time on saltwater is spent sailing, and I know how that constant breeze
can become tiring for many activities. I'd also wait for the few seconds of
less/calm wind that come along once every few minutes. You could always
get a boat, and move around the wind .
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Where I fish, if the wind ain't blowin' you ain't fishin'. Deal with it or go home.

When it's really howling I go to heavier rod, often a 10wt, along with a full sinking line.
Full sinkers are heavy and thin and cut through the wind better than other lines.

Keep casts into the wind low, with the wind, high. The same on the back casts
If the wind is blowing over your casting shoulder, cast with the rod tip angled over your head.
Oval casts, where the line never stops, are often easier especially with large or heavy flies

A major advantage of fishing in the wind is that it helps to disorient the bait.
Like saltwater author Lou Tabory says;

"When the wind is in your face, the fish are at your feet"
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

I fished this morning on the south side of cape cod where the wind was directly in my face! I changed to a 1/0 small deciever that didn't have too much material on it and it made all the difference and it cut through perfect for me.

not sure what you have for a rod but this morning I was using a Beulah 9# bluewater and airflow Ridged intermediate line,,, the rod is very fast with a stiff mid section and it took me a bit to get used to but I'm not sure if thats what helped in that wind.

as for the cast I noticed if I casted my loops low to the water in a side arm style like lefty they cut through the wind very good,,,,, if I casted over hand style like Joan the wind killed 1/2 my cast----> I'm still in my first season fishing salt but hope this helps
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

A couple of things to try.Unweighted flies cast better in the wind for me than weighted ones.Much easier to control.Floating lines are the worst in the wind.Go to an intermediate or sinker for the wind.Keep your casts low and shorter.As far as rod actions go,I prefer a moderate/fast rod over a fast rod for the wind.My Sage RPL is very good in windy conditions.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fast rods do not beat the wind.

Double hauls do not beat the wind.

Tight loops and high line speed are the keys. Use the double haul to tighten up your loop.

When that doesn't work, position is the key. When the wind is REALLY kicking, try to position the wind at your back from the direction you're fishing, and use the wind-flip roll cast: throw a roll cast with a tall loop and stop the rod tip nice and high. The wind should propel the loop forward and will often work well enough to allow you to shoot line once the loops unrolls. I use it to save my shoulder on ridiculously windy days at the coast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 AM

maybe i need to take some casting lessons or something bc im really not good at double hauling and idk how to control my loops. another thing ive noticed is that sometimes on my back cast my loop will be huge and the fly will like almost hit me in the back of the head. is that because my line speed is too slow? if so, how do i speed it up?

also, i noticed when i was double hauling (more like trying to) the line i would pull on each haul would sometimes not shoot back out and id end up with my off hand way down by my waist and casting awkwardly. i felt like and idiot. it almost felt like the line was getting stuck in the guides or something, i guess i just didn't have enough line speed to shoot it out of the rod?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Yep, line speed is the issue. Tell me roughly where you are in TX and I can recommend a good instructor.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM

houston