The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scott / Strikes / Stripers!

Well, my new Scott A3 9'0" 9 wt. passed it's saltwater Striper audition with flying colors!

What a nice action rod for casting Clousers / Deceivers. No "thump" at the end of the backcast/forecast; so the casting was easy; even in 10-15 knots of wind from a boat that was bouncing around quite a bit in the chop (current and wind opposed). It's also a rod that responds very well to hauling; you can actually feel the rod load and see it increase it's bend when you haul.

I also discovered something new; new to me, that is. I found that with this rod I was delaying my hauls significantly. Usually, I'm hauling with the same action as I'm casting; same speed-up / same abrupt stop; so that the two are more or less mirror images of each other; the right hand and the left hand moving at about the same speed in different directions. With his rod, I changed that; I delayed the haul until I was about 1/2 way through my casting stroke, and I noticed a definite increase in loading when I delayed the haul; almost like what you'd get from a lengthened casting stroke. Really nice! This will quickly become my "go to" rod for Stripers; tossing flies that are up to 4/0, heavy, feathered and bulky.

We fished 3 rivers; the main stem of the Kennebec (from Bath down to the ocean off Sequin Island) and two lateral streams that communicate between the Kennebec and other rivers; Back River and the Sasanoa. Up here in Casco Bay, "river" actually means what everyone else in the world would consider to be a "fjord"; these are tidal rivers that are primarily salt fingers stretching up about 10 miles in from the ocean.

The fish were picky and fat; obviously feeding well on the plentiful bait fish. But, they were staying deep; 15-25' down; probably due to the very hot weather and where the bait fish were hanging. So, it was a challenge casting, waiting about 30 seconds for the 300 gr. line to sink to the proper depth and then stripping in with enough animation to imitate the bait fish, but slowly enough to keep the line and fly down to the right depth for as long as possible

Some nice strikes and some nice fish! The one below was caught from a backcast that bounced off a piling at the cottage to the left of the red one in the picture background; so you can see how quickly the current was running. It took about 6-7 minutes to land; even though it was only about 2' long; a lot of fight in that fish and great markings! And, as I mentioned above, you can see that they're obviously feeding well on the bait fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

I like that rod!

Pocono
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Scott / Strikes / Stripers!

Great pic and story Pocono, Definetly looked like a good time and beautiful place to fish!!! Glad to hear your new rod worked out well for you, like I said before I like my A2's alot. Keep us posted on any more fishing adventures you have with your new 9wt!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great fish Allan great pic too.... for a washing powder ad...that's a white shirt!.Glad you love this rod...Big and I were sure you would
Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
...that's a white shirt!.
You bet, J-P!

Spend 8 hours on the ocean on a hot day with the sun and the glare off the water and you'll be going for the lightest colored shirt you can find; whether it's a little "fished up" at the end of the day or not!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Looks like a great trip man, Glad you found a rod that you love, those are kinda hard to find, I have mnay rods I "like" but only a couple I "love".
Bear
Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! After catching a small striper that had come up the Delaware River
a month ago, I decided to go after these fish in a more deliberate manner.
We lived in Ocean City, NJ throughout the 1990's, and always fished the
smaller freshwater streams and lakes.....
Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Nice fish, Allan.

Ready to soak that rod on Tokyo Bay yet?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

Thanks for the report. You have got to rub a little dirt or fish slime on that shirt. You are making the rest of us looking bad.

Frank