The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default A POC Smattering- Salt report w/pics

A buddy was good enough to take me on my first jaunt to POC in hopes of both getting me onto my first tarpon and jack crevalle. We ended up in the salty air just before sun-up with some lightning still flashing in tall clouds. Gassed up the boat, ate some of Josie's massive wonderful taco's and by the time they disappeared, so had the lightning.

The plan was to run out to the pass to see if any tarpon were on the beach, while checking some other likely spots along the way.

Click the image to open in full size.

The tarpon were no where to be found so we came back into the bay. Saw some stuff busting off toward the mangroves and poled up to it. They turned out to be ladyfish, but they're damn fun when they've got a little size to 'em.

We worked our way out into an open area and found the same kind of action, only they had a little freckled chick hanging out with them.

That died out pretty quick and we ran over to a spot that normally holds jacks. After a bit of idling, poling and looking, we saw a whole lot of commotion and made our way over to it. The cause of the attraction was enormous striped shrimp the size of bratwursts that went flying out of the water when under attack. The attackers included 2 5'+ sharks, a 4' bonnethead, and who knows what all else. Couldn't manage to hook any of those frantic beasts though dammit.

Once that settled, we went to check the jetties for action. After a wet ride (nw wind= choppy bay), there was no action there either. Same story in the surf, but it was mighty purdy at least.

Went back inside and saw some more jacks busting, but couldn't get to them. Once they vanished, we settled on wading for reds. I got this guy on the new stubby rod before I was 20yds from the boat.

Waded down a shoreline and noticed ridiculous numbers of things crawling on the sand. Turned out to be crabs the size of a milk dud.

The recent flushing rains, dead grass, and increasing clouds made for tough sighting of fish, but I finally managed to catch a black drum on fly. He went about 22", but those things sure tug like they're bigger.

Lack of tarpon or jack was a bummer, but the weather was so nice something had to be lacking. I'll take ladyfish and black drum as consolation for sure.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: A POC Smattering- Salt report w/pics

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the report. Maybe you can tell us non-Texans what or where the POC is.

Frank
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ah, POC= Port O'Connor. 'Bout halfway between Corpus and Galveston.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Benford is on a distinguished road

POC is a lot of fun to fish. That's where us from Houston like to go because the water's so much better than Galveston.

Looks like you had a good time!

One of our guys from the fly shop (I-Fly, in Houston) went to Rockport yesterday and caught 5 reds, 2 trout and 2 catfish with guide Chuck Naiser.

I'm headed that way tomorrow!