The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM

nyadirondacks will become famous soon enough
Default the surf

so im heading up to plum island mass end of july beggining of august and i need tips on stripers in the surf or any fish in the surf
Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the surf

First of all, that time of year you're better off fishing at night. Midnight to false dawn is best.
Don't fish alone in the surf and never turn your back to the breakers. They're not all the same size and a "rogue" will surprise you every time.
For fly fishing in the surf, rising tide is most often best and the point where breakers are beginning to pour over the bars is prime.
Scope everything out in the daylight at low tide when you can see the structure where bait is likely to be trapped
Don't think that you need to cast all the way to France to catch fish. Very often they're right in the wash at your feet and casting parallel to the shore may produce best.
Sand eels and silversides are good most of the year and worm flies and crabs produce in the summer dead drifted in the longshore current.

Ed Mitchell has a good number of his older magazine articles on his WEBSITE, but you might be better off reading his book Fly Rodding the Coast. Another excellent SW primer would be Lou Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing
Reading either one would be the best way to get started
Old 03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I would pay close heed to Rip Tides advice, he is our resident Striper & surf guy here as long as I've been a member. There are others who fish them but for Rip, it's his main game.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Lotta people fish for stripers Ard, but the surf is my thing
No more exciting way to fly fish
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use a slow sinking line and fish mostly deceivers. Clousers can break your rod tip if they hit it.

More important: More surfcasters drown fishing low tide than high. The reason: during low tide they wade farther out and reach a drop-off and fall.

Try to find out if there are drop-off in the surf before your fish.

Randy
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
never turn your back to the breakers. They're not all the same size and a "rogue" will surprise you every time.
This isn't a fishing story but..... One time I was diving with a few of my shipmates from my first submarine in Guam. We had gone in at the Piti Point power plant and were coming out at USO beach. There is a long barrier reef there. We were standing in about 2' of water on the reef, which is still a couple hundred yards from shore. It was dead calm and almost flat. All of a sudden it was like someone had pulled the plug on the Pacific Ocean, and I'm looking down at bare reef. I looked up and there was a wave coming at us as high as a telephone pole. I tried to dive low and into the wave. It tossed me like a tiny bobber. Luckily every time I bounced off the bottom it was on my tank. There were three of them like that in a row and then back to flat. Between us we lost several masks, a fin or two, I even lost a glove. The only person hurt was Lt. Commander Shelby who got a bunch of Sea Urchin spines drivin into his hand. Clean through. It's a wonder that nobody was seriously hurt. The ocean has serious power, and needs to be respected. Don't trust it for a second. As Rip Tide said, never turn your back on it.

Mr. Shelby has recently passed away, and is now on eternal patrol. I liked him.

P.S. After looking at rip tides photo here, bring sun block to.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:54 PM

thanks for the input i went striper fishing in maine last summer and had a few follow the fly right to my feet. didnt hook any but we caught loads of stingrays the size of dinner plates somehow
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyadirondacks View Post
thanks for the input i went striper fishing in maine last summer and had a few follow the fly right to my feet. didnt hook any but we caught loads of stingrays the size of dinner plates somehow
Those were skates, not rays. Some people eat them . I tried one once, no thank-you.
I don't know why you were catching them, but I'd bet you were dragging Clousers along the bottom
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

we were using long baitfish patterns similar to clousers. and yep right along the bottom. we caught about 15 or so.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I use a slow sinking line and fish mostly deceivers. Clousers can break your rod tip if they hit it.

More important: More surfcasters drown fishing low tide than high. The reason: during low tide they wade farther out and reach a drop-off and fall.

Try to find out if there are drop-off in the surf before your fish.

Randy
I was almost one of them a few years ago. A trout fisherman wandering out at low tide at NC OBX. Two hours later I was swimming with waders and a flyrod.