The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM

oddurthorri is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb New to saltwater, need advice on Florida in March

Hi fellow anglers,
IŽm visiting Florida in March and would be very interested in
trying my hand at tarpon, redfish, bonefish, permit and more species.
Even freshwater bass would be nice! I primarily fish Atlantic Salmon
here in Iceland.
I have been browsing various websites offering guides, but am afraid
that I canŽt afford their steep fees (I am but a simple college student).

Any advice on how to achieve a Grand Slam (or just a fun experience)
without paying 350$ and upwards for 4 hours?

Best regards,
Oddur Thorri
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New to saltwater, need advice on Florida in March

www.fedflyfishers.org Use the find a club feature to locate the club closest Contact them. Tell them what you just told us. Ask for their help.

These guys and gals are just regular folks who love to fly fish. They generally like to help other regular folks who like to fly fish. But be aware that those who live in touristy places like FL get hit up a lot. Be gracious and if you have something of nominal value to trade it will help (something from Iceland...just a token gesture of gratitude). Usually, it is the offer that makes the difference, and they'll tell you it's not necessary. Last time I did this I took a few saltwater fly lines with me and a couple of new fly fishing DVD's. The guys that took me fishing told me they didn't want anything, but I gave them gifts anyway. And they do appreciate it. It's just a good way of saying "thanks." You might consider offering to talk to their club at a meeting about fly fishing in Iceland if they have a meeting scheduled while you will be there. That would be a rare treat for most of them!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Oddur,

It would be a big help to know where you will be located. Unless you can find someone to take you fishing or a guide, your changes at Tarpon, Bones and Permit are pretty slim.

In the Keys, March is too early for Bones and Tarpon. April and May are very good for them. March is good for Permit but much harder to locate unless you can get out to a wreck.

Frank
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Hello Frank and thanks for taking the time.
IŽll be based in Orlando, but will have access to a rental car, so anywhere within a couple hours drive, IŽll go!

As for these clubs, flyguy, IŽll get into researching which one is the closest.
Great hint about the gifts, what would you bring?
There are many great dvds on flyfishing in Iceland, and I could give them Icelandic flies for Atlantic Salmon (although those would probably not be of practical value...).

P.S - The Grand Slam was just a joke! IŽm visiting in the last week of March, will that increase the chance of striking a silver king of the sea?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

skope44 is on a distinguished road

Oddur,
I live in South Florida and may be able to help you. Gimme an email closer to the date you will be here, and im sure i could get you on the water a few days. I normally fish Flamingo & Biscayne Bay, so we might be able to put you on some of the fish from your list. .

skope
bskopelj@hotmail.com
Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

March in Florida? -pray for a calm day without the typical Spring WIND.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi

Lots of fishing around Orlando. Check out Orlando Outfitters in Orlando. Read their site and you will learn a lot about the local fishing. No need to drive way south. You have Fresh and Salt to choose from.

One neat fishing is Disney World. You can fish some of their lakes and they supply a boat for not too much money. You will be surprised at the low cost. You are also close to the St Johns river/lake system.

Frank
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

One neat fishing is Disney World. You can fish some of their lakes and they supply a boat for not too much money. You will be surprised at the low cost. You are also close to the St Johns river/lake system.

Frank
Dang Frank, I was there a month ago on business. Great info, wish I'd known.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skope44 View Post
Oddur,
I live in South Florida and may be able to help you. Gimme an email closer to the date you will be here, and im sure i could get you on the water a few days. I normally fish Flamingo & Biscayne Bay, so we might be able to put you on some of the fish from your list. .

skope
bskopelj@hotmail.com
Hey man,
would truly appreciate! IŽll be sure to give you an e-mail.
IŽll be travelling with family, so I donŽt know if IŽll be allowed more than one day... but just trying something new would be awesome!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:09 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree good info good fishing around the Sarasota area.