The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default Successful Beach fishing!

Fished the surf on a nearby beach over the past few days, and caught a few big trout, a snapper and some smacks. All within 2 hours.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stripping a big EP fibre minnow looking for bigger fish and a 3 pound smack almost ripped the rod out of my hand. He went for a ridiculously fast long first run but that was it. Put a solid bend in the 8 weight.

What an awesome name.

Reds/Tarpon/snook on the flats tomorrow.

More pics to come through the days.

Tight lines!

Jeremie
Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Successful Beach fishing!

Hi Jeremie,

Nice job with the fish, it's been a while since I've seen a speckled trout / weakfish. They called them both where I lived in Virginia and that was almost 20 years ago so it's been a while. Way to get em man!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 PM

troutfishr will become famous soon enoughtroutfishr will become famous soon enough

Nice fish bh, where were you fishing? We can only catch and release specks here in NC until June 15. Way to go!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Jeremie,

Great pics of the surf fishing; almost as good as the name of my new favorite tackle shop.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremie, Wow, nice job, congrats! I'm jeoulous, not only are you catching nice fish, but wet wading in shorts and a short sleeve shirt to boot! Snowed here Friday night, the sun melted the snow quickly enough on Sat but the cold winds have returned reminding us that winter isn't over in this part of the country!

Larry

Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

troutfishr, Bonita springs, only here until the 30th, but the grand parents place is awesome, so there will be more trips to come!

ant, It is mainly a bait and tackle shop, but they had a bunch of flies for sale in the very back. Very sketchy looking patterns, but man did they produce!

mcnerney, Trust me, i know how you feel, I am living up in the Northwest Territories in Canada for the year. Its still minus 15 there, apparently ice doesn't come off the lakes till late May early June. :'(

Wish we would've found this spot earlier in the trip. Just figured out the fish yesterday unfortunately, and only 3 days left!

Hopefully looking for my first redfish tomorrow, apparently there have been some tarpon in the area too!

Tight lines everyone!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhflyfisher View Post
troutfishr, Bonita springs, only here until the 30th, but the grand parents place is awesome, so there will be more trips to come!

ant, It is mainly a bait and tackle shop, but they had a bunch of flies for sale in the very back. Very sketchy looking patterns, but man did they produce!

mcnerney, Trust me, i know how you feel, I am living up in the Northwest Territories in Canada for the year. Its still minus 15 there, apparently ice doesn't come off the lakes till late May early June. :'(

Wish we would've found this spot earlier in the trip. Just figured out the fish yesterday unfortunately, and only 3 days left!

Hopefully looking for my first redfish tomorrow, apparently there have been some tarpon in the area too!

Tight lines everyone!
Well at least you have three more days in paradise and you have the local fishing dialed in..........does it get any better than that, enjoy!

Larry

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Jeremie, sounds like you had a blast!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Jeremie,

Great job! Especially so wading. You see so much more wading - like bait and so on. Watch the reactions of crabs, hardheads, glass minnows when you disturb them and when different types of fish do.

For instance, in bonefish territory, you can often tell where bonefish you cannot see are from the type of minnow showers they cause. Completely different from those caused by bonnet sharks, blacktips or cuda which often cause none anyhow. I'm sure there is an infinite amount to learn where you are too.

Jacks will follow big rays the way cobia follow turtles, and are great fun on a fly rod. Often they hang right of top of the rays backs and are hard to see.

Wading is the best way to fish flats which are not muck all the way to your butt. There is a lot to see on the bottom so spend some time looking at what's on and in it as well as scanning for fish.

Super job. Thanks for the report and pics.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Good stuff man!

Fish it now before it gets crazy hot!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.