The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default flies for winter reds

i might take a trip in the next couple weeks to port aransas or matagorda on the tx coast. can i just take my normal redfish flies or are there certain ones that work better in the winter than spring/summer? thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: flies for winter reds

If we're talking about shallow water fish, I normally throw basically the same flies, though I stick with the calmer looking ones. By that I mean I recommend the smaller 2/3's of your flies in the blander 2/3's of colors.

In the colder temperatures, the fish are moving slower and thus will have a bit longer to look at your fly, and may be a bit pickier. The 5" long chartreuse and bright purple rubber legged chingaderra is more likely to scare them than turn their chompin' on.

There's also the possibility that all the fish will be in deep cuts where you'll have to blind cast to them. Make sure to take some heavier flies that you can fish 5'+ deep and slow. While hazardous to cast, these in dark brown can be extremely productive- Deep Wiggler, Pearl, by Ken Hanley, Originated by Larry Dahlberg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

damn i hate blind casting for reds, i have never caught one that way lol. i also hate casting heavy flies, my loops arent tight enough and i have hit myself in the back of the head!! as you can tell, im still a novice but im trying!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
damn i hate blind casting for reds, i have never caught one that way lol. i also hate casting heavy flies, my loops arent tight enough and i have hit myself in the back of the head!! as you can tell, im still a novice but im trying!
I definitely don't recommend it, but in case you can't find any on the flats, its always wise to have a backup plan.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Use crab flies work well I was just there in December knocked them dead.