The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM

theelvis510 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Martha's Vineyard

Hey guys, first post here. I've taken a job this upcoming season on Martha's Vineyard and was wondering if anyone has any experience fishing the island. I went to UCF and grew up in eastern NC so I know my way around saltwater and fly fishing. I figure I'll be throwing mostly to blues and stripers off the beach. I'm figuring mid-weight lines with something bright on the end. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting pics all summer so get ready. I just hope I don't run into any of Jaws' cousins on my surfboard.

Thanks in advance,

Jody
Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Martha's Vineyard

Most people fish a 9wt intermediate. I like a floater most of the time myself and fish it on an 10 foot rod. A 10wt is standard when the wind is up.
In the spring pretty much any fly will get their attention, but there's plenty of big baits around. Not so much squid lately, but herring and menhaden. You shouldn't have to toss anything larger than 7" to get their attention. I like deceiver type flies in yellow best.
Silversides to 3-6 inches and sandeels 3- 8 inches are the normal bait du jour and last year there were huge schools of sea herring of about 4" that the big guys were blitzing in close.
Crabs are important in the summer and when baitfish are scarce.
The big chopper blues show up before Memorial day so be prepared to use a wire trace.

Don't make too lightly about Jaw's cousin. There were lots of them around last year up to 18 feet. Mostly in August, but they'll be out there chompin' seals all season
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM

theelvis510 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Martha's Vineyard

Thanks RIP,
I never take sharks lightly, especially the 18 footers. Saw 3 whites in a week when I was on the Vineyard a couple of seasons ago. I was nicknamed Jesus for how fast I got out of the water and off that board. Thanks for the info, I'm getting there right around May 15th so I'm looking forward to some big blues.

Jody