The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Cudas help....

So I was thinking of going after some cudas later this week and wondered what flies I should use. And would a wire leader be a must? If so how would I tie the wire to my leader?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cudas help....

For small cudas, it really doesn't matter what the pattern is, it just needs to move FAST. REALLY FAST. Clousers will work fine, but if you want to increase your chances, ties a needlefish pattern. I've tied them with fishair, tied in and lashed to the hook, then split into three parts where it comes out the back and braided. Then whip finish the end of the braid.

Put some cactus chenille on for a body - done. I always used green.

A wire leader is a good idea. I always liked 47 pound single strand. Put the fly on with a haywire twist, then put a loop and another haywire in the other end. The tie your tippet on with an Albright knot (Albright special). Or, you could make a tippet with a bimini at the terminal end, and loop to loop connect to the haywire loop.

Again - retrieve FAST. Two methods for sight casting or casting to a really promising spot: Cast, tuck your rod under your left arm, and strip with both hands, or cast, make a long strip, then pick up the cast at the same speed to continue the fly movement, and repeat.

Good luck, 'cudas are a lot of fun.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Flatlanders said.

'Cudas are fun! Get ready to hold on. They are all speed.

MP
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Louis,

I wouldn't bother with cuda on the flats until we've had a week of warm weather. It is way too cold for them now. In fact, they were dying this past Friday in the bay from the cold, and it's gotten worse since. The fish kill is happening even in the keys now.

I was just down an the dock oceanside, and carcases that were thrown off the end the other day are still sitting on the bottom. There are no fish at all - not even minnows, around the underwater light.

But when it does warm, the cheapest, easiest way is to tie a haywire twist with leader wire to the fly and a haywire twist loop 4-6 inches down on several flies. I'd go 6, but it's a little harder to throw. I'm sure there are plenty of videos of haywire twists if you havent done them. They are very easy to do.

Cuda are not leader shy, so you can get away with the following tippet setup.

Next comes a double looped tippet which will go through your wire loop. It's the same way you tie off the butt end of a bimini twist, but for cuda you can use it for the terminal end.

If you are using 20 Lb tippet, pull enough off the spool to double a section about the width of your shoulders but don't cut it off the spool.

You now have a loop held in your left hand and the tag end and standing line in your right hand. Wrap the tag and standing ends around your right index finger.

Put your left hand through the loop and start twisting keeping equal pressure on both lines forming the loop. Do about 30 or 40 twists. Hook the middle of the twisted lines over a cabinet knob or something and bring the looped end down to the tag end of the and grab it between the thumb and forefinger along with the tag end and standing line.

Remove the line off the cabinet knob with your left index finge and pull away from your right. Then release the line off your left index finger. The two twisted lines will now twist together making 4 twisted lines. Tie a surgeons loop near the tag ends, and snip off the tag ends.

Cheesum rice, I'm gonna take a video. This sounds too complicated.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/Vysogi384.wmv

After you're done, cut your tippet to length and tie a regular surgeon's loop in the other end.

When you loop to loop the wire to tippet , you may want to go through the wire twice with the mono loop to get it to cinch up nice. You can search "cats paw" if you've never done that.

PS. I don't count the twists, I just do it by feel, so if the loop is too small, don't do so many and if it's too big do more.

Edit: Wow a bunch of good responses while I was dicking around getting a video. Albrights are good, but not as fast as loop connections, and flies don't last long with cuda, and the wire will be mangled and kinked after the first one. If you are tying your own, put some flash in them. Cudas love flash and speed like Flatslander said.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 AM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

flatslandercp- Is fishair the same as supreme hair? And would you still use a long shank hook? What other colors besides green have you used? I heard blue and chartreuse work also. Would you recommend mixing in krystal flash with the fishair and then braiding it?

wjc- I heard it should be in the 70's by this Sunday, you think next week would still be too early for flats fishing? I picked up some Malin hard-wire 31lb test and .012 diameter would that work fine? And from what I understand my setup would be (wire leader, bimini, butt section, then fly line). Thanks for the video by the way, got lost reading it then I saw the video and it helped a lot. After the surgeons knot I can cut away the extra loop and short end off right?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yes, that wire should be fine. It's real thin so it won't add a lot of weight to the end of the line when casting. Yes cut off the tag ends after you tighten the knot. You have the progression right: fly, wire, 20lb tippet or so, 30 lb butt or so and fly line. Loop in end of butt , loops on both ends of tippet (double loop to the wire leader).

I don't know how long it's going to take to warm the water back to normal. I've never seen it this cold before. But I'll post back up here when they came back onto the flat down here where I live. I see them every time I walk out onto the dock normally. It's an oceanside flat, so it's probably about the same as Biscayne bay.

In the meantime, you can tie up some flies like Flatslander was talking about.

I am still jammed up with work, but that will ease off in about a week and a half and I'll some more time. Then I wan't to bring my little boat to Miami to get you to take me to one of your peacock spots. I've got a bunch of different rods for you to try out.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

I don't think Supreme hair would work as well as this

Unique Hair

You want something a little stiffer, so you don't have to worry about the tail snagging on the hook during the cast.

Something like the Cuda needlefish here:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-saltwater-
barracuda.htm#Cuda%20Needlefish

I never use a trailer hook, and I don't really think a long shank hook is needed. But use what you think will work best for you. Just make sure it is stainless steel, or you won't have any hook left by day #3.