The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default any quick tips on Hawaii Bonefish

I'm leaving thursday for 2 weeks in Oahu, I have a all day trip set up for trophy bones with a guy I never fished with but after speaking with him and checking out his website with the videos I'm comfortable fishing 8hrs with him.

anyway I'm sure he will be full of advice and info because he knows I'm an intermediate basically using the fly rod for Blues & stripers,,, my cast is pretty good but I do fumble a few mostly at night and dealing with the atlantic gusts, double hall is decent!

for now though I'm wondering about what to mentally prepare for (day dream about) , he says accuracy is more important than distance and 20' yds is common, but how aboout stipping the line, fast slow or wait?

I also will be fly fishing for Peacock bass that I guess where stocked over 20yrs ago and its a catch and release area called Wilson lake--> this is more for fun time with my wife and a taking it easy doing 4hrs on another boat.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any quick tips on Hawaii Bonefish

In regards to your casting, practice casting before you go on your trip. Set up a target, like a Hula Hoop, at 20 yards and cast to it over and over again. Cast from all angles. You will be surprised on how much that helps you out.

In regards to the strips, do what your guide tells you to do. That will be the strip that works the best.

My advice. Make sure to put a new line on your reel. The best casting line is a new line.

By the way, who are you using. Louis or Duff?

Enjoy your trip.

MP
Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i was in kauia over christmas and i went for bones on new years eve. i went with a guide named rob arita, and i had no luck. the guide was very nice and knowledgable, so i am not about to blame him, we just saw no fish. it was a lot of fun regardless of being skunked. i used a shrimp pattern, and he told me to use short, quick strips.

i have heard some pretty bad things about peacock fishing in the winter, but it could never hurt to try good luck, even if you dont catch fish, youll have an amazing time living in paradise for two weeks. the whales have been breaching like crazy down there!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

In this particular season, you ought to be casting weighted fly in island wind constantly blowing over coral flat, so you gotta prepare to be able to cast on both shoulder safely or cast with back hand.

In many cases, by the time you find your fish will be probably within 20yds radius, so by the time you make your cast, it could be well within 10-15yds. But that 10 yds could be downwind or upwind.

Be cautious how and where to drop the fly rather than how to strip it. Fish ain't gonna like fly line slapping on surface or fly making unnatural motion. It is best to check the direction of current (just like in river) and drop fly upstream lead to where fish is. If you can't tell the current, give enough lead so he sees fly falling not your fly line. If he sees your fly attractively falling or drifting, he'll take it without hesitation.

Strip-teasing is the one last touch which gotta go with the choice of fly pattern and prey in the fishery, but I see more chance in re-presenting the fly over trying to recover from bad situation. If fish are too close or you are stack in head-on-head confrontation, wait until fish swim away from you then drop your fly with few yards lead in his path.

As for blind casting, aim for deep crack leading to outer reef known as "highway" that happens to be the path for all sorts of reef fish.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 AM

thank you everyone for the posts,,, I figure I already have to be there to tie the knot and the fishing Is a bonus thing for me, I know the season is tough and the fishing will be tough too but we'll see soon enough, I'll post any pics when i get back so you can see how it went.

MP,,,, I was booked with Louie but him and his son decided to go to New Zealand and they had to cancel,, I was looking into someone else and basically lost all my other info on the other guides i was looking into so i started from scratch..

I then decided to do it on a flats boat and if I could fish a 3rd time then thats when I'd wade in from shore and I'm not sure who duff is but I found a guy named Bob Mahalo (Sp?) ,,,

this trip I'm fishing with Mike Hennesy (Sp?) and I don't have his web site saved here at work but his pics look pretty good, he also videos you if you want when your hooked up and those are on you tube so i got to watch how he is with his clients when the fish is on ..

and he's a cigar fan
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Hennessy will become famous soon enough

Hi guys this is your guide Cap't Mike, I will be fishing "T" above and yes we will be having many nice shots and yes it is about landing the fly not so much about stripping the fly that is the key. These fish are SPOOKY and need a fast but soft accurate presentation. Nothing is more rewarding than sight fishing one of these beasts.

My client got 2 little 3# bones yesterday then he nailed his life best a 10.2# monster that wrapped up on 3 different coral heads on 9# tippet a miracle fish to not break off!!

Check out this pig
Peacocks are not biting in the winter but I you dont try you for sure will not catch one. Bonefish is your best bet but it is very hard, extremely technical with a little bit of magic and a sprinkle of luck to make it work.

YouTube - 10.2# Aloha bonefish
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great videos, Mike! If I'm ever in Hawaii, you seem like a great guide and a
really nice guy. I watched the other two videos you have posted, and they
are excellent.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 AM

ha ha Mike I never knew you where on here---> I'm busted,, but trying to get whatever mental knowledge I can for the trip... I'll call You when I get to my hotel to confirm I did physically arrive and to lock a time down to meet up,,,,, can't wait and I'm looking forward to fishing with you.

as for the Peacocks I'm just thinking of it as a easy afternoon on some bass boat with my wife,,,,, I'm not much of a touristy type of person so this should be a break from all the running around she has planned for us.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

>Tajue17
Oh, you already booked Mike? You are right on it!
Bit challengy, it may seem, lot rewarding it is.

>Mike
Hey. Good to see yer, Mike.
10lb-ers...damn.
I wish I can get on plane right now!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Yes they were good video's make more for us.