The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

taos is on a distinguished road
Default Boatless Bone fishing Miami/Keys

Hi all, new to the forum. newish to Salt water fly fishing. I have put in many hours already on some flats with little result.

I'd like to hit some flats on foot and was wondering the better areas to try. I have heard some suggestions but would like to pick yours as well.

Thanks in advance,

TAOS

ps if anyone in the area ever needs a fishing partner one day, hit me up.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Boatless Bone fishing Miami/Keys

Well spent another day walking the flats at the east end of Bahia Honda in the keys. Great day, but didn't spot ANY bones did see a school of Tarpon, swam right under the kayak, but I was on the kayak with the kids and didn't have my rod in hand. Tide was pretty much high all day and we had to head back before lowish tide....

I think I may have moved around too much, the best bet is to find a place and stay 'married' to it for the day? Watch and wait?

and so goes another day of 'practice'
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Taos,

I've had my best fishing when dead low tide is an hour to 2 hours before dawn, or two-three hours before sunset. Be on the water ready to cast in the dark in the AM and on the water at low tide before dark in the PM.

That is if fishing for tailing fish - which are the only bones I really like fishing for when wading. It's hard to see fish that aren't tailing when wading with the sun low. It's hard enough when it is high, unless you are fishing over a sand bottom where their shadows are visible.

Late afternoons after a huge downpour can also be really hot fishing if the tide is low enough - especially when the water on the flats has been hot.

It is good to be on the flats you plan to fish at low tide so you can watch them fill with water and know where to move to when the tide begins rising.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Jim,

Really appreciate your input...sound advice forsure!

I will keep after it, do you know of a better tide chart site to use for South East Florida?

Thinking about hitting Matheson Hammock Park this weekend....Sunday AM

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Taos,

This is the one I use, but it only goes as far north as NW Biscayne Bay. You click on one of the little circles then scroll down to the days, months and years form to fill it out. I always double check to make sure I've got the dates right.

Tide Location Selection for the Florida Keys Area

In the keys, these times are pretty accurate for windless days, but strong winds will hold the water back in Florida Bay if blowing into it. I don't think wind would have as much effect in Biscayne Bay, but I have only fished there twice and never wear a watch. Besides, I wasn't in charge of either trip

Also, the high/low tides and the current change of direction are two different things. The current may not change direction for an hour and a half past high tide.

Here is another very useful, daily (usually) upgraded chart for bluewater fishing if you ever get into fishing for dolphin/blackfin tuna on the fly. I finally got to the govt server with the information I wanted after pawing around the internet. It is the most current information on the location of the gulfstream that I've been able to find.

Index of /rtimages/key

Once you get there click gulfstream.png. It will show you as current a location of the inside edge of the Gulfstream as is available except through direct observation.

Good luck this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Here's a link closer to your area. You can paw around that server directory and probably find what you need.

Index of /rtimages/mfl/marine
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks Jim!

Appreciate your links, they will be very useful for sure.

Didn't end up going this weekend, tides (and family ) were not in my favor.

I will keep this thread updated and REALLY hope to add some pictures sometime in the near future.

Taos
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Taos,

Updates are always greatly appreciated. That gulfstream link is extremely useful if you ever get into throwing flies at Dolphin and blackfins - both extraordinarily delicious and great fun on a long stick - especially the dolphin.

The day I posted the link the stream was 3 miles SE of Molasses Reef. Today it is 11 miles. Closer is much, much better for the pelagics.

What wt rods do you have?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Mile marker = mm distances are measured by marked mile markers in the keys:
Here’s my short list of flats: Consolidated from JJs list on the Florida Sportsman site.

Mm going south from Key Largo

79 Boat Channels on either side of the highway may have cruising Tarpon in season.
A paddle board will get you across the Atlantic side channel to some nice flats.

Annes Beach --two entrances and nice flats early and late in the day to miss the crowd

70 Long Key SRA good flat here

56/57 Curry Hammock State Park --good wading and a channel where tarpon can be caught

Little Duck Key - good flats all starting at the end of Seven Mile bridge
Missouri Key
Ohio Key

38 Bahia Honda State Park -more wading

Closer to Key West several of the off ramps/roads lead to flats.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM

^^ Thanks Chuck, gave me a couple more places to try, I'll also post the article I found!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Taos,

Updates are always greatly appreciated. That gulfstream link is extremely useful if you ever get into throwing flies at Dolphin and blackfins - both extraordinarily delicious and great fun on a long stick - especially the dolphin.

The day I posted the link the stream was 3 miles SE of Molasses Reef. Today it is 11 miles. Closer is much, much better for the pelagics.

What wt rods do you have?

Cheers,
Jim
Crazy how many miles the Gulf Stream changes, but with me without a boat, that would be a lot of swimming

I have an 8wt for my salt set up and 5 wt for my freshwater/travel set-up

I'd like to pick up one more salt set up, so it can be ready for Tarpon/or a Permit Fly. I'd also like to pick up a better freshwater reel, but I think we'd all like more set-ups.

Cheers-n-Beers
TAOS