The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly Fishing for Halibut

I have read several article about fly fishing for Halibut in Alaska. I am making a trip to the Kenai Peninsula in July, a do it yourself trip. I've done it the past 12 years. I would really like to try the Halibut on the fly, but have no idea if there are charters for it. Can anybody help with names, numbers, or just general research ideas?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing for Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I have read several article about fly fishing for Halibut in Alaska. I am making a trip to the Kenai Peninsula in July, a do it yourself trip. I've done it the past 12 years. I would really like to try the Halibut on the fly, but have no idea if there are charters for it. Can anybody help with names, numbers, or just general research ideas?
Can't help with that one. I have fished for AK halibut but it was always with a charter and the main method was anchoring the boat in deep water and dropping a baited hook on a heavily weighted line overboard and bottom jigging.

Larry
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I have fished that way for the past 12 years. DEEP water, heavy tackle. It wasn't much fun, but Halibut is the best fish that swims on the table in my humble opinion. Supposedly on even numbered years, when the Pinks run, the halibut will come into shallow water (read 30-40 feet deep here) to feed on the shore hugging pinks. I bought a 14 weight, 8'-6" TFO Rod for this purpose. Now.....where to go and with whom?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

mrfzx: I have to agree that halibut is the best table fare, but don't know the details of halibut feeding on pinks, but it makes sense, they are bottom feeders. In Valdez when you drive into town the road goes out to the left toward the Alyeska terminal. On the way out to the terminal there is a point of land there where we used to fish for pinks. There used to be a big number of pinks returning every year, that might be a good location to target halibut, just off the shore in the deeper water. I'd suggest calling the fishing shops in Valdez and asking for local up to date information. Another idea would be to post your question on the Alaska Fly Fishing forum, maybe someone there has heard of this technique and where to pursue halibut.
Alaska's Fly Fishing Network - Alaska Fly Fishing Forum and Website

Larry
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mrfzx,

My experience with Halibut is like Larry's.

On the Kenai I think the best Halibut is at Homer but the water will be deeper. Your best bet would be off of Deep Creek in the Cook inlet. I think your best chances for a guide will be out of Ninilchik. With what you are planning you can't go on the Halibut charter boats with other people. I would try and locate one of the Salmon guides that fish Deep Creek. They will have smaller boats where it would make sense for you to rent.

I was not aware that Halibut feed on the Pink Salmon. I think their prime food is herring. We use to fish them when they came in shallow water but shallow water was 150 to 250 feet deep. I have never heard of them being 30 to 40 feet deep. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Halibut spend a lot of their life in the 500 to 600 feet deep water. I think they come into the shallow water to spawn not to chase Salmon. I have caught Halibut in South East Alaska in about 80ft of water. You will probably need a lead line and a big reel. It is not going to be much like fly fishing. Do you have a cut bait fly. Apparently someone has told you about the Halibut coming up into the real shallow water and that is the person you should be talking to.

Frank
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM

I read about doing this in Fish Alaska Magazine. I bought a TFO 14 weight TiCr just for this purpose, with a TFO 425 reel and ultra fast sinking Orvis Wonderline. They were using VERY large (5/0 and 6/0) bunny leech patterns and the like. The article was a bit slim on details for where and who though. The suggestion about the AK Fly Fishing Forum was a good one.