The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default Saltwater Newbie

Hey guys,

Im headed to Kauai in June and Im putting together a 9 wt rig to take. (very excited!) I honestly just want to catch whatever will bite. Bones would be awesome, but there are few flats on Kauai so I'm not sure what my options will be. I have been fishing steams and ponds for about 12 years now, and I am just now getting the chance to do some salt! I know, long overdue.

First, the rig I have come up with is relatively low budget. Ross Essence FS 9 wt with Allen 9/10 Alpha. Anything wrong with this setup? I mainly fish TFO, but I figured I would give Ross a try due to all the good reviews. And the Allen Alpha just looks like a beast!

My main question is what flies should be in my box? Size? Patterns? Color?

Any info on what to bring would be great!

Thanks a lot,
Jason
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saltwater Newbie

I'll let the local handle this one.

If "Stan Wright" does not respond to this, shoot him a PM. He should be able to recommend line - leader - fly strategy for you.

Dennis
Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Hey thanks Dennis!

Stan, you around these parts? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jason, welcome to the forum. Hopefully Stan will see this thread and will respond with some tips for fishing Kauai.

I've never had the pleasure of fishing Hawaii but if you wanted to put together an all around box of flies for saltwater that would attract a range of species, and be relatively easy to throw with a 9 weight, you could start with some easy to tie classics for a salt water fly box you could take anywhere.

Some general all around saltwater stuff for a variety of fish:

Lefty's Deceiver size 1/0 an all around fish catcher
Bendback size 2 or 1 for fishing shallow water
Clouser Minnow size 2 chartreuse over white, and in tan
Popper or crease fly 1/0 or 2/0 for topwater (and might be good for the various species of trevally in Hawaii)
Half and Half or Rabbit Strip Pattern, heavily weighted, size 2/0 for deep water fishing in channels and cuts from a boat for snapper, etc

Some general, good to have stuff if you're targeting bonefish anywhere in the world:
-Merkin (also known as Del Brown's Permit fly) size 2 (for bonefish, permit and anything else that eats crabs)
-Crazy Charlie size 4- for bonefish one rule of thumb is to match the color of the bottom, so Crazy Charlies in tan for light sandy bottoms and some in brown for darker bottoms). Crazy Charlies are usually tied with beadchain "eyes" and are good for shallow flats.
-Bonefish fly with lead or brass barbell eyes for deeper 3-6' water- patterns like Puffs, Turds or any of the heavier Borski's patterns like a Bonefish Slider size 4

I'm sure that Stan can give you better advice on specific patterns for Hawaii, but the above will give you a pretty good range of options that you can throw with confidence.

One thing I would start working on now is casting to targets into the wind with a minimum of false casts- wind is an almost constant factor in saltwater fly fishing and is perhaps the biggest challenge for someone moving from freshwater to salt.

best of luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Jason,

When are you visiting... Rainbow Trout Season might be open????
LOL LOL LOL

Mark gave you some good advice. I was checking our local fly shop's web site. There is some information about fly fishing here in Hawaii on the Nervous Water site.
Nervous Water Fly Fishers - Fly Fishing Shop & Guide Service in Hawaii

I also have some pictures of flys we use too. Mostly freshwater, but the nice thing about saltwater fish is they are aggressive and will hit almost anything. For the bone fish the Crazy Charlie is about all I use.
Welcome to Hawaii Bass Fishing: The best fishing in Hawaii..

You might want to check this out. Mark White, from Kauai, sent this to me today....he's always sending me stuff to try to get me to come and visit. LOL
You might try contacting him for locations both salt and freshwater.

Aloha,
Stan
stanwright@hawaii.rr.com
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Stan!

I will be there June 14-21st. I think I will leave the bows alone. If I had a dollar for every bow I've seen lol!

What size Crazy Charlies do you use? I assume that size is what I would fish a clouser or deceiver in as well?

#2 4 6 1/0 2/0?

Also, any idea where that pond is they are catching those peacocks in? Is it on Kauai?

Thanks!
Jason

PS: Maybe you could come to Kauai while I'm there and we coude wet a line together?!?!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jason,

Stan gave you great advice--

As for the sizes of flies, unless Stan says otherwise, you might want to use different sizes for those 3 patterns to cover a wide range of different baits, different situations and different species of gamefish. For example,

Crazy Charlies imitating small 1-1/2" shrimp in size 4 (used primarily for bonefish) if tied with beadchain you could use these in shallow water for bones.

Clousers in size 2 imitating larger 2-3" shrimp and small baitfish (for bones and a wide variety of other gamefish). If tied with lead or brass eyes you could use these in deeper water for bones.

Deceivers in size 1/0 imitating 5-6" baitfish (not used primarily on bonefish, but work for most everything else). Because the deceivers are usually unweighted, this is a good suspending pattern for fishing high in the water column with a floating line or deeper with a sinking line in open water. I bet these and the clousers would be a good choice for largemouth or peacock bass too if you decide to chase freshwater fish.

These should all be easy to throw with your 9 weight.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM

Hey thanks Mark for the advice! I have already started building a box. I have silver/flash clousers in 1/0 2 4 6 size and some darker brown charlies in size 6. hope thats not too small.

I will be adding deceivers in 1/0 and possible one other pattern. Maybe a popper of some kind.

I assume with poppers, its a quick strip across the top to attract attention?

-Jason