The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

Thanks rjackh, I have about a dozen each of three different patterns "tied" (I'll use the term loosely here), but it doesn't look like my trip to Louisiana is going to materialize. I'm keeping close tabs on the oil, and so far so good, but the future is pretty cloudy. I may have to switch to Florida, and the Atlantic Coast.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

check out scott sommerlatte out of the seadrift, tx area
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

These are the best I know of that are commercially available- East Cut Saltwater Flies: Scott's Spoon Fly

I've been tying mine with a heavy mono frame, and liquid urethane. 3 layers, with glitter mixed into the middle layer. I'll have pictures someday.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
These are the best I know of that are commercially available- East Cut Saltwater Flies: Scott's Spoon Fly

I've been tying mine with a heavy mono frame, and liquid urethane. 3 layers, with glitter mixed into the middle layer. I'll have pictures someday.
They look great. I checked and there is no dealer in PA. Any suggestions on where to buy some?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM

I promised some pictures... so here they are. I'm no artist like some of you folks, but my flies catch fish. This pattern starts as a 2/0 stainless Mustad straight eyed hook. I bend the shank of the hook into an arc with pliers so it resembles a huge scud hook. I tie in a crystal flash tail, and then I X-wrap 30lb test mono onto the butt of the hook with kevlar thread. I bend the mono back to the eye of the hook creating a tear-drop shape, and wrap it onto the hook positioning the ends of the mono as weed guards. Then I use a product called E-Z Sparkle Body (a liquid latex material) and a tooth pick to "web the gap between the mono and the hook shank. Its tricky at first but easy once you get the hang of it. I use a rotating drying wheel to keep the liquid from sttleing to one side. After the E-Z Sparkle "bubble" is cured, I coat it with two part epaxy to strengthen it. The finished fly is 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. My guide in Venice, LA is the guy that wanted me to try and upsize the smallish spoonflies comercially available. I found the basic pattern online...but modified it to work with the E-Z Sparkle.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those look quite alot like some that I've been tying, so I'll shed some light on some problems I've had with mine: I'd recommend tying the mono farther down the bend of the hook, so you can get more of a cupped shape that will aid in the wobble. Another trick is to the ends in on the point side of the shank. This puts the the two sides of the mono frame further off line from the hook shank, increasing the cupping of the shape.

I've been using this stuff Aleene’s Fabric Fusion caseysmartt.com, which allows you to mix in any color glitter you like. I've found a prismatic silver that's really cool, and have also been mixing a little UV pearl micro glitter into copper for some bluish fleck mixed in. I think you'd find it to be very similar to the latex stuff you've been using. If you tie with mono thread it basically disappears just like when using epoxy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

Mrfzx- does that spoon not get awful heavy when wet?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

I do not want to make a new topic!
I think this topic is very appropriate to my question...
Does anybody know a company producing hooks for Spoon Fly, or hook with proper "caddis" shape form ? (I was not too lazy to use the pliers, just wondering))
in every store you can find MANY varieties of hooks: for egg fly, tube flies, scud, shrimp, grubs, pupae, gammarus... etc. I think you get my point !?
It would be interesting to ask hooks manufacturer !
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by argail View Post
I do not want to make a new topic!
I think this topic is very appropriate to my question...
Does anybody know a company producing hooks for Spoon Fly, or hook with proper "caddis" shape form ? (I was not too lazy to use the pliers, just wondering))
in every store you can find MANY varieties of hooks: for egg fly, tube flies, scud, shrimp, grubs, pupae, gammarus... etc. I think you get my point !?
It would be interesting to ask hooks manufacturer !
There is a worm hook the Bass guys use that's curved exactly right including the way the hook eye shaft is straight to make the fit on the worm weedless(this makes the spoon fly wobble properly) . Next time I'm in Bass Pro I'll get you the name of the hook. I'm sure someone on here knows the hook I am referring to,
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
There is a worm hook the Bass guys use that's curved exactly right including the way the hook eye shaft is straight to make the fit on the worm weedless(this makes the spoon fly wobble properly) . Next time I'm in Bass Pro I'll get you the name of the hook. I'm sure someone on here knows the hook I am referring to,

THESE

theboz likes this.