The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all
Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

thanks guys! the smallest size 1/0 eh eh... went to dig in an old tackle box...
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

mustad made a hook perfect for spoon flies. here it is in 3/0 under a normal 3407 3/0

Click the image to open in full size.
theboz and argail like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Yep! Exactly those!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
mustad made a hook perfect for spoon flies. here it is in 3/0 under a normal 3407 3/0

Click the image to open in full size.
wow, this hook perfect
vintage Mustad) remains only to find where to buy
thank you sandfly!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM

cboz76 is on a distinguished road

Spoon flies work well for me in Mosquito Lagoon during the Winter
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Its interesting. On our last trip to Louisiana (see my post on it), we fished with two guides, each in separate locals. Our guide in Dulac/Cocodrie still loves spoon flies, and we always do really well with them. Our guide out of the Hopewell area, closer to New Orleans/Chalmettes, really hated them. He swore by a dark brown crab imitation that he tied. It was a nice fly, basically a lead-eyed wooly bugger with ring-neck pheasant swords as the "claws", and instead of the standard palmered hackle, it had brown marabou palmered around the body. It really undulated well in the water when stripped in short (6-8 inch), strips. It worked well when the water was clear, but when the wind really got kicking, and the water got whipped up muddy, we had a lot of trouble with the Reds seeing the fly. He absolutely refused to go to a spoon fly (which I had with me). He was pretty demeaning about them. I guess there are salt water purists too, and with out feathers and/or hair, it just wasn't a fly to him. He said using a spoon fly was "cheating". We caught fish, but I definitely think we would have caught more on a spoon fly.....

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That's kind of odd for a guide to have such strong purist attitudes against the spoon fly...or any thing that would help catch more fish for his customers.

The name of the game is getting your customers on fish....not showing them the pretty views from the ocean.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
That's kind of odd for a guide to have such strong purist attitudes against the spoon fly...or any thing that would help catch more fish for his customers.

The name of the game is getting your customers on fish....not showing them the pretty views from the ocean.
I thought so too, but his opinion was immensely obvious. We did catch some fish, but it was also very obvious that the fly was more for technical presentations on spooky fish. It had a very low "profile" in the water, meaning no flash, and no vibration to speak of. So in the mudded-up water we almost had to land it on their noses.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

And that's the main thing I find strange. A guide needs to, and should, know how to adapt to changing conditions. If he's a one trick pony, then I can't imagine he will be profitable guide for too long. If he just does it for fun, and not the money, then good for him but if I'm actually paying for a guide, I expect results outside of what I could by myself.
bigjim5589 likes this.