The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Spoonflies for Redfish

I've been working on perfecting a larger pattern of spoon fly for Redfish. They seem to want to spin on me...obviously undesirable. The style I am concentrating on is epoxy based. I've tried the mylar bodied flies, and they were okay...but too small in my opinion. I caught fish on them, 2-3 pounders, but when I fish with bigger flies I catch bigger fish....go figure. I am working with a 2/0 hook, which makes the completed fly about 3 inches long with the tail. Any suggestions to fix the spinning? Or should I just use a swivel?
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM

dsmithla is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

Have you tried, or are you using, dumbell eyes like a clouser? I've seen spoons with them both at the eye of the hook and at the bend. I've also seen a bit of lead tied on the back of the hook to serve as a keel.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I've made them up both ways. They get VERY heavy with the eyes, and it makes them tough to cast. I tied a few with aluminum hourglass style eyes. They seem to work in the bath tub, and are much lighter than the brass or lead eyes. I tie them in at the rear of the spoon. Over the weekend here we were all but snowed in, so I had lots of time to play. I found that the tail material makes all the difference in the world. Too stiff of material can either help or hinder, but its very tricky to control. Nice soft material, like flashabou, and crystal flash, seems to work the best.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Montcopo is on a distinguished road

Mrfzx, I fish regularly in Louisiana for redfish with spoonflies. By far , the best I have ever used are those made by Rich Waldner (Fish with Rich.com). His epoxy spoons are available in many places, but I usually buy mine at Uptown Angler in New Orleans. Check their website for info. There are places on the web that show how to make them, too.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

i use the spoon fly templates from creative feathers fly shop, i have never noticed them spin
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM

I have read about the templates. I will have to buy some and try them. Since the last, I have solved the spinning problem. I have managed to make a spoonfly out of a 2/0 hook that really looks good in the water. I can't wait to try them out.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mrfzx,

Have you tried Jumbo Mylar Tubing from Feather-Craft? Here is the Feather-Craft description.

"NOTICE: JUMBO MYLAR TUBING Large enough to slip over BIG saltwater poppers. MOST IMPORTANT: This is the size necessary for making the GULF COAST REDFISH SPOONS. Most popular with our redfish guides 3-miles from downtown NEW ORLEANS (call). JUMBO MYLAR TUBING in COLORS: (1)Pearl, (2)Gold, (3)Silvertone, (4)Greentone, (5)Coppertone. 18" PAK (Jumbo Gold is no longer available)"

It is too bad the Gold is no longer available. I don't know if it is big enough for a size 2/0 hook.

Frank

Feather-Craft Jumbo Mylar Tubing
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks Frank...I will order some. I fish out of Venice Marina. I try and get there two weeks out of the year, but my schedule is packed. I do have a week scheduled for mid July. Unfortunately as a teacher, I have to do all my long-stay trips between June and September. I can't wait stick a few big Reds again, and some Trout too!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

i use the creative feathers fly shops stencils. i tie them exactly as pictured with lamp pull chain eyes and they do just fine for me. coat them in sallys and theyre good to go. havent had a chance to catch any redfish on them yet though
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of the spoon fly that rfackh mentioned. A nice looking fly from Creative Feathers Fly Shop.

Frank

Creative Feathers Fly Shop, Spoon Fly
Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.