The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 AM

laut is on a distinguished road
Default loop to loop connection for large Tarpon

I am going after those Costa Rica Tarpon this fall. I would like to know what is the best way to create a loop on the fly line that can stand up for those big 100+ lb Tarpons. I am looking into the nail knots on the folded fly line method but I have heard that this loop doesn't hold up for big fish. Any suggestions? Thank you
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: loop to loop connection for large Tarpon

You are correct. That nail knot will not hold up. You can use a braided loop made of 50 pound braided monofilament.

I would skip the loop. Create a three foot butt section of 30 to 40 pound monofilament. On the end of that, you should have a loop made from a Bimini Twist. Connect that butt section to the fly line using an Albright Knot. From there, you can make speedy loop to loop connections to your class tippet.

MP
Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

mosa is right on, It ain't pretty but it works great.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 AM

laut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
You are correct. That nail knot will not hold up. You can use a braided loop made of 50 pound braided monofilament.

I would skip the loop. Create a three foot butt section of 30 to 40 pound monofilament. On the end of that, you should have a loop made from a Bimini Twist. Connect that butt section to the fly line using an Albright Knot. From there, you can make speedy loop to loop connections to your class tippet.

MP
How about the other end of the fly line ? How do I connecting it to the backing?
Thank you

Last edited by laut; 02-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I do a loop to loop for the backing. If you are using hollow braid I'd use a blind splice on the backing. If Jerry Brown hollow Gel Spun or micron, I'd use three blind splices to create a double loop.

The most common method with solid core gel spun is a bimini , but prior to twisting up the bimini, slide a sleeve onto the gel spun made from 120# braid to keep the gel spun from cutting the fly line loop. You can also make your own loops on the fly line itself if you don't trust the factory loops. Either using guidbrod braided mono chinese finger trap method, or trolling braid using the same method. The latter is much quieter going throught the guides.

Tie the braid sleeve onto the gel spun with 10lb mono nail knots and put a dab of superglue on them. Keep the braid sllightly off center so the ends do not go through the guides at the same time.

Cheers,
Jim

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Mosca,

After you do a bimini on gel spun, do you use a three turn surgeon's knot or something to get a doubled loop in the gel spun so it doesn't cut into the fly line side loop?

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 12-03-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: [COLOR= "Red"]added to avoid confusion[/COLOR]
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever reason, I cannot get Biminis to set as nicely as I want on gelspun (GSP), so I use a double loop triple surgeon's knot. On another board, Lefty Kreh posted that he prefers this knot on GSP. He had issues of GSP Biminis not having that great of knot strength compared to the surgeon's loop knot.

As for the back end of the fly line, I use a braided loop made from 50 pound Gudebrod Butt Material. I make the loop fairly small (less than a half inch), and I have about three inches of butt material spliced inside for plenty of surface area to hold the loop. For the tag end of the loop, I make it at least 10 inches and secure it with two nail knots of 8 pound monofilament. I glue down the knots with Rio UV Knot Sealer. Many prefer to use Pliobond because it is highly flexible. The extra length makes for more surface area for the Chinese finger puzzle to grab onto the line.

MP
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I dragged this up again in case any saltwater guys are intimidated by braided mono loops. I made a video and stuck in on another site and figured I'd put it up here too.

I just started using them last year after I had a factory welded loop come apart somehow (not with a fish on). I tried pre-made braided loops several years ago, and the first one I tried fell apart, so I quit using them and went back to double nail knot loops. But after a buddy showed me how to do them, I checked out the remaining factory one in the package I had, and discovered they made it wrong.

So I started making them myself and have caught a lot of big fish using them, with straight 60lb fluoro leaders and poking the wood to them without any problem. I believe they are the best connection possible for big fish, on both ends of the fly line as well as to splice running lines onto WF heads.

Here's that video if anyone is interested. No special tools are needed other than 3' of 0.012" (or thereabouts) leader wire.

In the video, I only finished it with one nail knot, but use two of them on the end of the loop about 1/2" apart with 8 or 10 lb mono when doing it for real.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/blind_loop.wmv

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Great Video Jim. The editing is to funny.