The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM

remo_5_0 is on a distinguished road
Default Sea Lice/Sea Roaches? Can someone help..

Maybe one of you saltwater flats guys can help answer a question, I was in Belize last month fishing the flats with a buddy, he asked me if I was getting bitten by any bugs in the water and lifted his leg and showed me these little white creatures that looked like Potato Bugs on his legs that were biting and sucking his blood. They didn't seem to get me but he got chewed up.

The locals called them Sea Roaches and I assume they are some sort of Sea Lice, anyone know what they are and how to avoid them? I guess long pants. Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sea Lice/Sea Roaches? Can someone help..

He actually saw critters on his legs? There are the so-called sea lice that are actually the larvae of the thimble jellyfish, but that are microscopic, so what he described aren't those. Is it possible he ran into jelly larvae, which stung him, but saw something else and attributed it to them?

I don't recall seeing anything like white potato bugs in all my trips to Belize, and I've never been hit by more than a few "sea lice". From what I know of them, they tend to "attack" at places where clothing is restricted. I've had a few at my wading boot tops, and in that area, but not much more.

If I ever had "bugs" on my legs, I don't recall them biting.

Reportedly a product called Sea Safe helps prevent jelly stings.

Sea roaches are terrestrial Isopods (like pillbugs -i.e. rolly polys) that live at the waterline on dock pillars and rocks, but as far as I know they don't bite, or they never have me when I've managed to catch them. Don't think I've ever had any locals tell me about sea roaches that bite.

Not much help, I know.

Craig
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 PM

remo_5_0 is on a distinguished road

Craig,

I know about the Jellyfish, but these were actual bugs. I did a search on Sea Roaches and saw creatures that looked just like what was on him/me, but the ones on the net were much bigger and found in the deep ocean, these are white in color with little black eyes and filled up with blood like mosquitos (mean little *******). They are very small 1/4" inch and they were all over his legs while walking the flats.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Remo,

My wife, Marty, and I had the same experience fishing the salt flats out in Ascension Bay (just North of Belize; same water, actually) last year. The natives in the Boca Pailla; part of the SC Biospehere area, referred to them as "sea lice". They were probably 1/4"-1/2" long, cream to transluscent colored, stuck to your legs while you waded and gave a slight stinging bite. The guides just reached down and picked them off their own legs; we did the same thing. The owners of Pesca Maya; where we stayed, said that they were jellyfish larvae. We're going to try Sea Safe when we head down to Belize at the end of March. Long pants are going to be our second line of defense.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

Sea louse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of sea lice, and aquaculture: Aquaculture of salmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YIKES!!!!