Mother Nature making me feel inept again...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm going to be thinking about that all day.....
How does an osprey catch a flounder ? They don't exactly "sun" on the surface and I don't ever remember seeing one that size on shallow flats, but I suppose it's possible.... they go where the food is.
Once I did see a legal size summer flounder jump about a foot right out of the water. I'm sure it was being chased by a bass, but that was only a "fluke" ;)

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I'm going to be thinking about that all day.....
How does an osprey catch a flounder ? They don't exactly "sun" on the surface and I don't ever remember seeing one that size on shallow flats, but I suppose it's possible.... they go where the food is.
Once I did see a legal size summer flounder jump about a foot right out of the water. I'm sure it was being chased by a bass, but that was only a "fluke" ;)
I've seen them dive in up to 4ft of water and come up with Flounder. It's amazing how they take them right off the bottom. I step on them while wading sometimes and these birds can spot them from 50 ft in the air. It's just amazing.

wjc

Reaction score
Thanks Swirl,

I've watched osprey catching fish all my life and never knew they could actually dive underwater. Only once did I see one actually in the water, and thought it screwed up and miscalculated the depth the fish was in or the size of it.

Most of the ones I've watched were catching pickeral, trout or mullet and barely got their breast feathers wet. They obviously catch bonefish too, judging from the reactions of bones to any shadow moving near them regardless of size.

Cheers,
Jim