The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM

beerbrewer is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Needs Advice?

I'm an avid fishermen and have been for over 40 years, but I've never fly fished and I'd like to start. I live in NY and fish mainly in the Long Island Sound, Great South Bay and Atlantic Ocean for Striped Bass and Blues. I was told for saltwater to get a 9 or 10 wt rod, of course with a matching reel. Does anyone have an opinion on the 2 Handed fly rods? From what I've read they seem to be able to cast a bid further and are easier on the arms. Is this true? What type of rod is best for these waters? Is there a good or bad brand? Lastly, I don't have a lot to invest, but at the same time I can't afford to buy of peice of junk.

Your help is appreciated!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbie Needs Advice?

I never heard of spey casting until about a year ago and I've been throwing flies all my life with one hand.

Since then, I have heard about not much else but. I think Huron Dan may spey cast and there are a couple other guys here as well. There are some videos on ytube:but, to me, on most of them everything happens so fast, it's done before I can figure out what they are doing.

But, yes, two handed casting is easier on the body and achieves greater distances than one hand.

There is a hard core group of competition spey casters on Sexyloops.com, mostly Europeans, but they are world class casters with their own language that I don't understand at all, even though it is written in English.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbrewer View Post
I'm an avid fishermen and have been for over 40 years, but I've never fly fished and I'd like to start. I live in NY and fish mainly in the Long Island Sound, Great South Bay and Atlantic Ocean for Striped Bass and Blues. I was told for saltwater to get a 9 or 10 wt rod, of course with a matching reel. Does anyone have an opinion on the 2 Handed fly rods? From what I've read they seem to be able to cast a bid further and are easier on the arms. Is this true? What type of rod is best for these waters? Is there a good or bad brand? Lastly, I don't have a lot to invest, but at the same time I can't afford to buy of peice of junk.

Your help is appreciated!
Hi Beerbrewer,
Two handed rods are great tools for fly fishing. They can be cast in a variety of styles. Underhanded casts (traditional style) or overhead style.

Underhanded casts are used in moving water. Back East, two handed rods are popular for the Atlantic Salmon crowd. Here in the West, two handed rods are more popular in the Steelhead crowd.

Overhead casts are used mostly in the surf scene. On both coasts, surf anglers fish from jetties or beaches for Striped Bass.

I find two handed rods easier on the casting arm. The movements are more fluid compared to that of casting with single handed rods. Back in January, I used my 6 weight single hander for casting streamers. I forgot how much work it was to get that streamer out there with that rod. All fall and winter, I was using my two handers to do that with less effort.

From your original post, I don't think that a two hander will do the job. They are not very boat friendly. Try landing a pissy striper on the boat with a 13 foot rod. It can get rather complicated.

MP
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm not sure how you got the impression I fish from a boat because I am basically a surf caster and mainly fish from the shore. I'm interested in fly fishing in shallow water (tidal pools) and from the shore for strippers, blues, etc., where it can get very windy and choppy.

What is the best pole (one handed or 2 handed) for this type of fishing?
What is best best weight rod?
Are starter kits worth the money?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have gone the spey or switch rod route, but the solid majority still use a 9' 9wt.
That's standard saltwater rod here in the north east.
The most popular line would be a matching clear intermediate

Personally, I rely on 3 rods:

A 9' 8wt with a 9wt line is my go-to
In the surf I fish a 10' 8wt with a 10wt line
For large flies and in high wind, I fish a 9' 10wt with a 12wt line

I like floating and full sinking lines myself, but intermediates and integrated lines would be considered more popular

Most any reel rated for saltwater use will do unless you happen to run into a bluefin

I'm sure that there are combos worth a look but that's not something I keep up on
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure how you got the impression I fish from a boat because I am basically a surf caster and mainly fish from the shore. I'm interested in fly fishing in shallow water (tidal pools) and from the shore for strippers, blues, etc., where it can get very windy and choppy.
That's ignorance on my part. Most of the Blues fishing that I know of is off of a boat.

Quote:
What is the best pole (one handed or 2 handed) for this type of fishing?
It depends on who you ask. I have only fished the surf with a single handed 8 weight. I have friends who won't go back to single handers.

Quote:
What is best best weight rod?
For your region, stick with a 9 or a 10.

Quote:
Are starter kits worth the money?
No. Surf fishing rigs are very specific. You need the right gear. The rod has to be fast to sling out the heavy line and fly rigs. The line has to be very heavy. The reel has to be rugged enough to take in the day in and day out of saltwater abuse.

Here in Northern California, a popular series of rods is the Beulah Surf Rod Series. It is available in 7/8, 8/9, and 9/10. It is 11 feet tall, so it doesn't feel massive like the longer Spey rods. It has a fast action to sling out heavy lines and big flies.

Surf fishermen here are split on line choices. Some like shooting heads. Others like the integrated shooting heads like Rio Outbound and Rio Outbound Short. What is important is that the fisherman gets the right grain weight. For a 7 weight it would be around 350 to 400 grains. For an 8 weight, it would be around 400 to 450. For a 9 weight, it would be around 450 to 500 grains.

MP
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In my 30 plus years of saltwater flyfishing experience here in southern New England, I've learned that the gear that you use is not nearly as critical as some people would have you believe.
I wouldn't recommend the slow action glass rod that I started with, but I use my inexpensive medium fast IM6 and IM7 rods with pleasure
There is absolutely no need for an expensive reel. I used a Pflueglar Medalist 18 years before I got my first disc drag reel. The major difference between then and now would be that the anodized reel is much easier to care for.
You'll find that very few fishermen here in the northeast use shooting heads. The main reason for that is often when fishing from shore the majority of feeding fish are within rod's distance, right in the wash of the surf
For the majority of the time I use a floating line, not an intermediate or a grain rated integrated line
Contrary to popular opinion they make for easier line control.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

I've only been on this site for a day or so and I've already learned so much.

I think I've decided on an Albright GP (90892) wt 8/9 9' long ($44) with a Albright GPX Fly Reel ($129). I liked the prices....seemed reasonable since I'm a beginner.

What line should I use? Brand? etc......does saltwater effect the line choice?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 PM

I think you'll be pleased with your choices of the Albright.
That's some decent gear cheap.
Personally, I normally fish a floating line, but many guys prefer an intermediate.
The Albright XX wouldn't be a bad choice at $40 off
Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 AM

troutfishr will become famous soon enoughtroutfishr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've only been on this site for a day or so and I've already learned so much.

I think I've decided on an Albright GP (90892) wt 8/9 9' long ($44) with a Albright GPX Fly Reel ($129). I liked the prices....seemed reasonable since I'm a beginner.

What line should I use? Brand? etc......does saltwater effect the line choice?
Hello beerbrewer, welcome,
I too am a novice, but here's something you might think about, getting two spare spools and putting floating, intermediate and/or sinking head, full sink lines, that way you would have lines for most all applications you'd need. I have four rods but am able to fish 12 ways whatever the situation calls for
PS: get ready to go broke with flies, it's very addicting in a salty kind of way