The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM

riekky is on a distinguished road
Default Must have flies

Soon I'm going fishing for tarpon (baby to medium size) and snook.

I was woundering which flies you must have for the fishes I mentioned. And what is the proper hook-size?

Riekky
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Must have flies

No one who can help in the right direction?

In my search I've found out that the cockroach, black death are killers.

Any other recommendantions?

Riekky
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

tarpon bunnys, poppers, shrimp patterns, clouser minnows, deceivers, a few crab patterns too. should cover it all. sizes 1 to 4/0
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the help.

Riekky
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I normally use old school splayed feather (Cockroach, Black Death, Marquesa Sunrise shown) tied in 1/0 to 4/0 Gamakatsu SL12S hooks.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are many Enrico Puglisi flies that work too. Check out the EP website for descriptions and pictures.

The Tarpon Toad became popular after Jamie Howard chronicled Tarpon angling in Chasing Silver. I tie them in 1/0 and 2/0 using Gamakatsu SL12S hooks. Here's a purple and black Tarpon Toad with a marabou tail. Variations of it use a rabbit tail. Chartreuse, yellow, and white is the most popular color combination.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Based on this report Fly Fishing Insider Newsletter featuring Campeche, Mexico Tarpon the standards work well, but those that are white with some red or pink are ideal.

Campeche? Definitely give us a report after you get back.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

*PERK* *CAMPECHE*

That is one place that I would like to go to. Here is a fly that is popular over there. It's called the Campeche Special. I do not think that it is available commercially.

Hook: Gamakatsu SL12S 1/0, 2/0
Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon red
Tail: Four Chinese saddle hackles (two splayed on each side) white
Hackle Collar: Chinese Saddle hackle white
Collar: Hareline Palmer Chenille red

MP
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
tarpon bunnys, poppers, shrimp patterns, clouser minnows, deceivers, a few crab patterns too. should cover it all. sizes 1 to 4/0
Sandfly,

Is a 4/0 not to big for baby tarpon?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Riekky,

It isn't so much that the hook would be too big for the baby tarpon, which have huge mouths even as babies, but that it could be too way too heavy for the fly you'd want to be using to track well for baby tarpon (especially during daylight hours).

You would also have a hell of a time trying to stick a tarpon with a 9 or 10 wt rod using a 4/0. Big tarpon very often do not know anything is even wrong after hitting them as hard as you dare 2 or 3 times, but the smaller they are, the faster they respond to the feel of the hook. I would go with 2/0s for small to mid size. Some of the guys down here are going to 1/0's - but they just look too whimpy to me.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Hi,

I have just returned from Curacao with the goal to catch my first tarpon with a fly rod.

My finding is that Curacoa is not really an island for DIY fly fishermen. Nevertheless, I have caught four tarpon and seven Snooks with the fly rod.

I can tell you one thing and that is that I do not care where I go my next vacation go as long as I can go fly fishing.

Next year I pick a destination where I can fish for snook, tarpon, bonefish or anything else you can catch with a fly rod, without booking a guide. So I have some homework to do.

Greetings,
Riekky