The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Rodney Dangerfield fishing or Sea Trout Flys

I call it Rodney Dangerfield fishing cause it seems they never get any respect but the lowly Sea Trout has saved more than one fishing trip! A few of us even target them with flies, especially when those biguns get on the sand spots during the colder months. What flies do you carry in your Spotted Sea Trout box? I'll add more later but a simple gold bodies bendback with a brown deer hair back and a yellow deer hair belly has to be close to the tops of my list. Come to think of it that fly has scored many a nice Redfish also..
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rodney Dangerfield fishing or Sea Trout Flys

Chuck, are you talking about Sea Run Brown Trout?

Fred
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Should have explained a bit. I was speaking of the Spotted Sea Trout, of the Weakfish, family and found from Texas to Virginia mol. For you left coasters, and folks from the NE states, it looks a lot like a Walleye crossed with a Brown Trout but often has a couple of wicked canine teeth! It's lesser cousin the Weakfish has a more silvery sheen and ranges further north and not so much south. All are related to the drums and are great eating, abundant and hit flies readily! One method involves fishing a big popper much like you would for Peacock Bass and that can get nerve wracking!
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We have weakfish, locally known as squeteague up here in New England Chuck, so we're aware
They like brook trout style flies believe it or not.
And by that I mean gaudy streamers.
A mickyfinn or a mickyfinn colored Clouser may be tops.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chuck,

Like Fred, the first thing I thought was Sea Run Trout. Thanks for making that clear. I have never caught a Sea Trout on a fly.

Frank
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

They also have relatives out here on the left coast, they call them white seabass off SoCal. In the Sea of Cortez there used to be Totuaba, which were basically the same fish, but very large. They are believed to be extirpated now though. milt.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 AM

Speaking of Brookies and their streamers, the first bendbacks I tied were Mick Finns and they do work well! I got lazy one day and dropped to just yellow with a brown bucktail back over a gold ribbed body and that turned out to be my top Speckled Trout fly.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Last edited by chuck s; 05-06-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road

You can't go wrong with a bendback when sight fishing for big trout in very shallow water. The bendback lands softly which is important. In the warmer months, you can target big trout with topwater flies such as deer hari sliders or popping bugs. EP mullet or pinfish style flies also land softly and mimic two of the trout's favorite foods.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Chuck,

Like Fred, the first thing I thought was Sea Run Trout. Thanks for making that clear. I have never caught a Sea Trout on a fly.

Frank
Hi Frank,
You must try it sometime, chucking a fly at midnight in the UK is very exiting sport.
Click the image to open in full size.
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Nice picture and fish! I've never fished for sea run browns and brookies but have for Steelhead or Sea Run Rainbows. The salt sure puts a bit of super charger in those fish doesn't it?
Chuck S

Will Rodgers