The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM

adkwiley is on a distinguished road
Default heading to the keys

Hey everyone Im strictly a stream and pond fisherman when it comes to the flies. i'm heading down to the keys soon and am wondering if my 8wt fly rod with floating line will perform just as well in the salt water as on the river for salmon. Ive read a few pieces saying as long as you clean your line and reels well with freshwater after use it should be ok. What do you guys think?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heading to the keys

You may want to change your line to one with a tropical core. It won't go limp in tropical heat. You can buy adequate tropical floaters as low as $34.95 and premium ones for $69.95.

The research that you did is correct. Rinse off your gear with freshwater after every use.

MP
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM

adkwiley is on a distinguished road

thanx mosca, one thing i did forget about was leader and tippit materiel, is there special leaders for saltwater fish seeing they tend to be more toothy?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what fish you are chasing. Bonefish and Permit won't chew through your leaders. Baby Tarpon and Snook can.

If you are chasing Bonefish or Permit, you can fish using 9'-10' tapered leaders rated from 8 to 16 pound test. I use Orvis Mirage Big Game fluorocarbon leaders. I use them more for the abrasion resistance rather than invisiblity. Plus they come in very economical two packs. I prefer the 12 pound test.

For Baby Tarpon or Snook, you can use a butt section, class tippet, and bite (shock) tippet setup. Your bite tippet can be 40 pound test. If you don't want to tie your own Baby Tarpon/Snook leaders, you can buy pre-tied Umpqua Backcountry leaders. Each leader is tapered to 16 or 20 pound test mono and tied to a piece of 40 pound test flurocarbon.

MP
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

As MP said, your 8 will do fine, and rinse your reel VERY WELL as soon as you can after you get out of the water. He's also right about the line, a tropical saltwater line will serve you better.

If you are doing the DIY thing, or will have some time after you fish with a guide, visit our web site and look up my article called "Skinflint's Guide to the Florida Keys". I list the mile markers and descriptions of some of our favorite flats. Kansas Fly Fishing for Carp

Craig

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

PS - we also have a link to a video on building your own furled leaders that we fish for bones when tied with 6 or 8 pound test. Add a 8 or 12 pound tippet and you have a great bonefish setup.

Craig