The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM

bonneville54 is on a distinguished road
Default Baby Tarpon

I got a chance to fish the coast north of Campeche last October and had a great time. I'm going to miss the next trip in May, so I figured I'd console myself by looking at the photo's from October.....and thought I'd share.

Click the image to open in full size.

Traveling again with my 85 year old father-in-law, we fished 7 days, some days good, some days not so good and a couple of (for us) epic days. BTW, like everywhere else, the economic times have taken their toll on business' down there, and the swine flu debacle has hurt them even more. But...the upside is that prices were low and there are no crowds. In fact, we never saw another boat the entire visit.

We jumped many many Sabalo and boated a good percentage of them. Baby Tarpon are at the top of my list for pure fun, they pull hard, can take moderate runs and, of course, they jump! In addition, it's a great place to refine that double-haul, sight cast to finning fish and enjoy the incredible scenery. (we saw crocodiles, rays and hammerhead sharks)

My father-in-law even caught a different specie on a fly - a Cormorant! His fly hit the water just as the bird took a dive and the poor fella found himself wrapped in the leader. It was released unharmed but made for a good story at dinner.

Athough I've been married to his daughter for nearly 28 years, this was the longest time we'd spent together - just the two of us. Bob is a member of that "Greatest Generation", B-17 navigator, successful business man, economist, writer and terrific father. He told me that, at age 85, everything he does physically is deteriorating - except his fly casting - which is improving! My love and admiration for him grew even more during the week spent together.

Campeche is a wonderful colonial town, the old city center surrounded by a wall built by the Spanish to ward off pirates. Beautiful sites, great food, terrific people...

Campeche Sunrise.....

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Baby Tarpon

Hi bonneville54,

Thanks for sharing your great photos. It sounds like you had a ball.

Frank
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great trip in an awesome location!

Ant
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Great stuff there man. I need to take better care of myself so I can do that when I'm 85.

Imma have a salad for lunch today.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Awesome man! Next to my Dad and brother, my father-in-law is my favorite fishing partner too. He's introduced me to Louisiana redfish, Costa Rican tarpon, and many other fun species and locations too. Cherish the time, I do.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Bonneville,

Is that rod your father in law is holding bamboo? It sure has the color and winding style of one.

Thanks for the photos.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Bonneville,

Is that rod your father in law is holding bamboo? It sure has the color and winding style of one.

Thanks for the photos.

Cheers,
Jim
It's a Sage Bass Rod. It's short.....7" 11" or something which make it great when casting among the mangroves...He loves that rod.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

did you use an outfitter to set up the trip?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Great post thanks for sharing. Would loved to have seen the landing of the Cormorant!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
did you use an outfitter to set up the trip?
No need....just call the guide.

(Hope this isn't spam..)

Tarpon Town